Sunday, July 30, 2006

Junkfood I'm Embarrassed to Love

I'm normally a pesto-arugula-caper kind of person but when no one's looking I'm sneaking junk food with the best of them.

10. Ranch dressing. Not on salads (yuck--that's where my balsamic vinaigrette side takes over) but on potatoes it's the only thing. I was once at an engineering banquet that ran out of sour cream and I opened up a new world for a table of engineers--complete with glasses and pocket protectors--who'd never tasted ranch on baked potatoes.

9. Anything from Taco Bell--especially with the mild sauce on it, but you can't go wrong with the basic burrito and soft taco, what a deal.

8. Chocolate milk. None of that Nestle quik stuff that tastes like powdered dry wall but the real stuff in the plastic jugs that is already mixed. Smooth and perfect. And it makes the best--the best--hot chocolate.

7. Twigs. The crackers in the box? I think it's Nabisco that makes them but they've got sesame seeds and this fake cheese flavor that I dream about.

6. Ice cream cones. I'm being pretty specific here, I'm not talking about the ice cream in the cones (my tastes are more epicurian in that area)--just the cones. I like wafer cones, not sugar or waffle cones, and when you get down where the ice cream has soaked in yet the cone is still kind of crunchy it's a taste of heaven.

5. Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I think if I were stranded on a deserted island and could have only one food, it would be cold cereal (cold would be useful in that temperature and it's the only food I could eat every day). This is the best cereal there is.

4. Saltine crackers topped with peanut butter and jelly. I'm not sure how many times I've fixed these beauties up as a desperation dessert (when you'd die if you don't have something sweet) but I got the recipe from my Dad and it's always great.

3. Frosted animal crackers. The kind that come in pink and white with sprinkles? I'm not one for store-bought cookies which are generally stale and flavorless but these put all others to shame and I could eat a bag at one sitting.

2. Popcorn. Anytime, anywhere and the more butter the better. I just have to smell it popping and I want it, the only problem around here is that Andrew always says he doesn't want any when I make some but then he helps himself when the bowl shows up. I've learned to make extra. Though donuts--any raised variety--are a close #2 contender.

1. Macaroni and cheese with sliced hot dogs. This is as embarassing as it gets--sliced hot dogs boiled right there with the noodles but I do love it. Pretty sad when I'm fighting my kids for the last bits in the pan.

No comments: