Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cream of Broccoli Soup with Gorgonzola

I thought this was a great taste, but then I really like strong cheeses like stilton, blue and gorgonzola. My family disagrees with me on this one and they opted for waffles the next night instead of treasuring the leftovers with me.

Having given my disclaimer, here it is--if you aren't quite so wild about gorgonzola you can cut the amount in half. But I can testify that it's even better the second day. I'll be fixing this one again.

4 T butter
1 leek, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large heads of broccoli, chopped
4 smallish potatoes, diced
4 cans chicken broth
2 c water
16 oz crumbled gorgonzola
1/2 t nutmeg
2 c milk
1 c heavy cream
salt and pepper

Saute leek and onion with butter in large stockpot. Add broccoli, potatoes, broth, water and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender, then remove from heat and process in a food processor until vegetables are chopped and integrated (use your discretion here). Add cheese (half the amount if you're nervous) and stir to melt. When smooth, add milk and cream and keep heated thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

my mouth is certainly watering...if i was in the neighborhood i'd be hitting you up for leftovers....yum

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing.

Count yourself as the first recipe I saw on a blog that I am going to run out and make tomorrow.

(Not that I am calling you a recipe.)