Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Advent Calendar

My children love counting down the days until Christmas and this calendar is simple to make. With the head of a pin, make 24 alternating green and red dots on a 10" white candle. The idea is to each day read Biblical accounts of the Nativity while the candle burns down to the next dot. Here is a link for one possible list of scriptures for reading but you can pick your own verses. I typed up a card with the 24 scripture references for each day that I keep on a ribbon tied around candlestick.

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.



14 comments:

Cristina said...

I've never heard of this idea. I like it. It's very unique - thanks for sharing it!

Rae said...

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing =)

PastormacsAnn said...

This is a really cute idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this idea...I've never thought of using a candle! :)

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Are those pins stuck in the candle? Or did you make holes and then color them in?

kel said...

I have seen the candles for about $20 at Christian stores, what a great inexpensive ideas.

Anonymous said...

Oh I like this! Couldn't tell from the picture are the pins heads colored or do you color them after you put them in?

Scribbit said...

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been, you don't stick the pin in the candle, you only use the pin to make the dots. Hold the pin by its shaft (pointy end) and dip the head in paint. The paint clings to the head in a perfect little ball which you use to make a nearly perfect round dot of paint. Just an easy way to make a tiny circle of paint.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, non expensive idea! I paint candles as gifts. This would be a great thing to paint on them! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I spent some time searching for advent/countdown to Christmas ideas for my 2-year old, but didn't see one like this. Excellent way to celebrate the holiday.

Anonymous said...

excellent idea...thank you for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome idea! We watch the lighting of advent candles at church at week, but doing it at home each day would be much more meaningful.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

oh, that's so clever!!! i will have to do this next year!