Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blueberry Soup

Blueberry SoupNow don't panic if you've never heard of putting blueberries into a soup--stay with me on this one. I found a recipe in the Anchorage Daily News years ago and read how it was popular in Scandinavian countries, particularly before alpine sports events because it's hot and filling.

Call me gullible but that was enough for me and I tried it that same week for breakfast with a few of my own variations and the rest is history. It's been on the menu ever since and Andrew will often comment how it is hot, satisfying and filling.

With all we're hearing about the benefits of antioxidants it's a great way to get more good stuff into your diet.

4 cups frozen blueberries
3 cups water
5 T sugar
3 T lemon juice
1/4 t ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 t cornstarch
½ t vanilla
low fat vanilla yogurt for topping
granola for topping

Combine the first seven ingredients in a saucepan over a medium-high heat, stirring well. Bring soup to a gentle boil. Reduce and simmer until the blueberries are tender, about 5 minutes.

Gently mash some of the berries with a potato masher and serve topped with yogurt and granola (I've also used Grape Nuts cereal with good results). For a slightly sweeter version, use orange juice in place of all or part of the 3 cups of water.

Technorati tags:

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warm blueberry pie without the crust! This sounds--and looks-- delicious.

Sandy said...

When we visited Scandinavia, I noticed how prevalent this was. Menus always included some sort of lingonberry or cloud berry dish, so this recipe brings back some fond memories.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. I will have to try that.

la bellina mammina said...

that looks yummy! Thanks for sharing.

J Fife said...

You are my hero. After this is on my breakfast menu, I suspect you'll also be my families hero. Thanks!

thehotrodqueen said...

yum! that sounds wonderful!

Joyful Days said...

How tempting!! I need to try this. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of it before but if its good enough for the Scandinavians, it should be good enough for me.

Marion said...

what a wonderful colour! I've got to try this!

Blog said...

mmmm....! Nice! I want some NOW! Thanks for this! Looks divine!

Kate said...

Looks divine. Yum!

OhTheJoys said...

I can tell by looking at the recipe that it is tres fab. I have printed it out. (I live in a blueberry growing state, so I'm all over it.)

Inkling said...

I just made your recipe for dinner. We usually just "snack" on Sunday nights and don't do anything fancy. My husband was very skeptical, so I made him some spinach artichoke dip. Blueberry soup and the spinach dip were quite the combination, let me tell you. And my hubby liked the soup after all, though he is of the opinion it should only be eaten and breakfast.=) The soup was absolutely delicous and just the perfect kind of healthy comfort food these particular hips need. Plus, it's a great way to get me to eat my yogurt. I'm already looking forward to having the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow. Thank you...and by all means, keep the recipes coming!

Stephanie Appleton said...

Blueberry anything I am willing to try! Love them! I am hoping to plant some one of these days!

Chickadee said...

Hmmm, intriguing. I LOVE blueberries. I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice! Sounds like it would lovely chilled as a dessert in the summer. I make melon soup as a summer dessert. It has prosecco in it so it's slighty sparkling ~ yum!
Laquet

Sara said...

My family (the Osts) hail from Anchorage (and other towns too). My grandma always used to make a similar soup (hey, we're Danes & Swedes). It is awesome! Packed with antioxidants but seems like a dessert -- think hot fudge sundae. Thanks for the post and cheers from Sara at www.marksdailyapple.com.

Allie Parr said...

to make it truly alaskan you need to go pick the berries, but wild berries are more tart. so mix the berries half and half. I wonder if it would be any good with a smidgen of raspberry?

ExpatChef said...

I am going to save this recipe for summer when fresh blueberries are at the market and sweet. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe :)

I love blueberries and have a new logo collection.

Iam still a work in progress!

www.eadiebrooke.com