Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Homemade Puppet Theater for Kids

Puppet Theater for KidsYou can put this simple puppet theater together in an afternoon. With several yards of fabric and a tension curtain rod you can put together a theater to satisfy your toughest critics.

I used about 3 2/3 yards of blue fabric, cut out windows for the puppets, interfaced around the holes for added strength, and finished the edges. I then sewed yellow curtains around the windows with tie-backs and finished the outer edges of the sheet, leaving a gap wide enough for the tension rod to fit through at the top.

If you want to get fancy you can even sew a pocket for puppets on the back of the theater. The tension rod allows you to hang the theater curtain in a doorway, hallway or from a bunkbed.

Maybe I'll post some of our favorite puppet-making ideas next week.

Technorati tags:

15 comments:

Jane said...

Oh how timely! I saw the same thing in a Magic Cabin catalog. I thought, "Hmm could I make that?" Now I know how! I wasn't sure at all how much fabric to use.

Christie said...

So cute, so creative. Love it.

Le laquet said...

Surely what you mean is ... you can put this simple puppet theater together in an afternoon ... if you can sew! I have blown up, yes flames (once)and smoke (once also) 2, get that 2 sewing machines! Not safe!

Heffalump said...

I have been meaning to make something like this for my boys for a long time. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. Growing up I was such the tom boy ... I really wish I knew how to sew better. At least I am learning!

Lara said...

That's adorable Michelle! I need to get my kids to help me make something like that.

Amy said...

That is so darn cute! I love this idea! You are such a creative mommy!

The Estrogen Files said...

You are always so creative with the kids. Will you be my mommy? Okay, maybe not, but I will still be "swiping" all your great ideas for my kids!!

My WFMW isn't so fun, but come on over anyway!

http://smcarney.blogspot.com/2007/02/common-denominator-of-potatoes-and.html

Kerri said...

Oh, how cute! Thanks!

M said...

This is a great idea. My $30 sewing machine can do this!

Nicole said...

How fun. I bet that is a blast for the kids!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Awesome - so simple and so creative. I have a little one who is really into puppets and I am goign to have to try this! So adorable!

jeanie said...

That is so cute!!!

My main problem is actually starting the darned projects....

Unknown said...

I made three last Christmas out of curtains my mother no longer could use. The set was from longer curtains that one might use in a layer with a sheer. They were dark green from a family room. They stage curtain came from red cafe style curtains she had used in a small kitchen. I gave one to my niece, one to my godchildren and on to my kids. It's such a fun project and the kids are crazy for it. Yours is especially cute!

Anonymous said...

This is cute! I made one of these a year or so ago and just posted a HowTo on it (http://www.howtome.com/?p=11). the idea of the pocket is a really good one! Way to be creative!