Saturday, February 10, 2007

Why Do I Blog?

Christine asked why I blog and, always eager to talk about my favorite past time, here's what I came up with:

I blog for creativity. Why do scrapbooks or quilts when you can publish your deepest thoughts, feelings and desires for the entire world to judge and critique?

I blog for record. How else will my grandchildren know about the time Andrew nearly burnt the house down while trying to "smoke out" the hamster from our family room wall? Or Spencer eating the Easter egg dye tablets? Full story here if you missed that vintage Scribbit gem.

I blog to see if I can do something well. Doesn't everyone want to feel as if they do something well? I just know there's a Joan Didion hiding inside this middle-aged housewife's body . . . somewhere . . . maybe. . . down real deep . . .

I blog so my husband will think I'm cool. He's a tech-junkie who is impressed by anyone knowing javascript. His idea of the perfect wife runs something like: "Oh Andrew I'm so glad you're home! The cake is nearly out of the oven, I haven't had time to frost it yet because I've been busy coding, but let me slip into something more comfortable and I'll give you a back rub." Now if I'd only train for a marathon he'd think I was perfect.

I blog so people will send me cool stuff to review. Is there anything to make you feel fabulous like someone sending you a box of free stuff, then asking your opinion on the matter? This is my dream job I tell you.

I blog to pretend I'm talking to another adult. When I found myself talking back to Steve on Blue's Clues I knew it was time for more adult interaction.

I blog to promote the lost art of Homemaking. Say what you want about Martha Stewart, one thing I'll credit her with is making homemaking stylish again. Creating an environment where people enjoy being (i.e. your home) while raising good and decent children who are contributing members of society is a skill that shapes our society as a whole and our lives as individuals.

I blog to talk about the things I like. Selfish I know, but with a blog I have a neat, tidy platform for discussing anything and everything I like--including but not limited to: mushrooms, Audrey Hepburn, new shoes, Jane Austen, salads, orchids, knitting, Sting, crosswords and great mystery stories.

I blog for vengeance. For years I've written short stories and occasionally I'd get up enough courage to send one to a magazine. Of course, being an idiot, I'd often pick the biggest, baddest magazine out there and send them a story cold and then wonder why they returned a rejection letter. After a half-dozen such letters my ego was damaged enough I swore I'd never send out another story again. Ever. But with a blog I get a chance to publish whatever I want. I--I am the editor and now I HAVE THE POWER. Muaha ha ha ha! [Maniacal laughter].

Yea, I know, they're really regretting all those letters now. Take that you editors you.

Karen at Miscellaneous Adventures of an Aussie Mum asked me a similar question this week and I was much more serious--if you care to read more of my answers on blogging.

Technorati tags:

16 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Amen to the reasons why you blog. I second all your motions, except my husband isn't a techie ... he is an engineer pursing his PhD. You and I must have a very similar personality.

P.S. I went to a Sting concert where sat on the grassy area of the amphitheater and it was simply amazing!

Erica Douglas said...

Go Michelle! Those pesky editors....they'll be sorry...!!

:D

Christie O. said...

I love it! I blog for all the same reasons, and my family is always saying, that's not going on the blog is it? haha! anyway, re: mushrooms, i have vowed to keep my hatred for mushrooms a secret from poops, so he can decide for himself on that one! :) keep on keeping on! i love your blog!

Samantha said...

I think those are GREAT reasons for blogging :) I always see others commenting about your blog, so I had to come see for myself. Personally, I think it's pretty nifty, so if you dont mind, I'll definetely be back!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel so much better now knowing that I wasn't the only one talking back to Steve on Blue's Clues.

Unknown said...

Thanks for responding to my link/question/chain blog! And yes, there is a certain "this is my world and you can't reject me" feeling to blogging in which writers, artists and musicians (except for sting) can bask!

Gina said...

Good enough reasons to blog Michelle! I am glad you decided to take up blogging, now I get to read YOU! Yes, YOU!!! =) You are one of my daily "peeks" , you know, you're even in my blogroll =P. Thanks for all those yummy recipes (who knows maybe one day, I will need them! haha) and the laughs, and some nuggets of wisdom in between. Keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

hehe Those are awesome reasons to blog! The creative outlet is huge for me and being an adult in a child's world ... I had not gotten to talking with Steve but I am sure it would have come ... I have one more reason I continue to blog .. the AMAZING community and friends I have made along the way ...

Damselfly said...

I'm so glad you blog, whatever the reasons! Your graph about your husband and javascript really cracked me up!

K T Cat said...

Are there any more at home like you?

:-)

Sending you a link on this one. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

I blog because its cheaper than therapy.


/Yuva

Stephanie Appleton said...

Sooo glad you are blogging for all the listed reasons! What would I do without my Alaska fix everyday?!

Robert and Anthony said...

I think this is the best post I've ever read.. Your reasons are great and a lot similar to mine.
AND I'm glad I'm not the only one who responds to Steve, well Joe.

Amy said...

Excellent post and I feel like you just stepped into my brain. Oh...and your husband & I have similar taste in women :) I am going to have to read him that part :)

SeaBird said...

Hmmm, I want to post a "why I blog" bit as well :) I'll link back to yours as well!

Anonymous said...

Ditto! I adore that I can look back a couple years and see where we were at ... with the up coming changes it will seem even more dramatic!