Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Handmade Golf Game

Handmade Golf GameI used to have more time on my hands. Those were also the days when we had fewer resources so I was also looking for cheap entertainment ideas for my children.

Here's a handmade game of miniature golf that has been popular with each of the children regardless of age. The older kids like to set up the cans as tunnels and holes to test their skill, the younger ones whack the ball around on the carpet but anyone can put this together in an hour or two with the right materials.

You'll need dowls--one for each child--sold in the craft section of Walmart. I think the handles I made were 3/4 inch but decide how thick you want them for yourself, you don't want them breaking or too small for tiny hands. Buy one thick dowl, the thickest they have, for the foot of the club.

Save some different sized aluminum cans, wash them out and cover them with construction paper or contact paper. On some of the cans I cut both the lid and the bottom off to make a tunnel, on some I left the bottom on to make a cup.

Cut the fattest dowl into four or five inch segments. If you don't have a sweet grandfather around with the wood working tools who will do the job for you, you could even use a hand saw--they sell those too at Walmart.

Drill a 3/4 inch hole in the top of the fat dowl big enough to allow you to insert the smaller-sized dowl and glue it securely with wood glue.

Paint your new putter and if you have made enough for teams you might paint some of the putters a different color for the sake of team identification. Seal the putters with a clear coating of varathane or Mod Podge or whatever you have on hand and once dry you're ready to go.

Don't forget the golf balls.

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.

Technorati tags:

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! So creative... my daughter would enjoy making it as much as playing with it I'm sure.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great idea and it's so frugal. Thanks for sharing, have a great Wednesday! =)

Macoosh said...

i am soooo gonna use this when i pop a kid out. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle

Are you up for a meme? It's about sharing your "Simply Successful Secrets". If you're interested, come over and check it
out.

I found reflecting on it quite an interesting and useful excercise.

I've tagged recent visitors to my blog, so hope you'll join in the fun.

Yvonne
Grow Your Writing Business

Annie said...

Great tip!
blessings~
Annie

Julie in Texas said...

Great idea! Now how to convince the boys that the clubs are for golf only...everything becomes a weapon here!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Great idea! My hubby and son would love to do this.

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic idea! I'm gonna work on it this weekend. Thank you for sharing...

Nikki said...

So fun! I love this idea. I know my kids would really enjoy this. I think they'd enjoy the process of making it too! Thanks for sharing.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Very creative idea!

Linda

Anonymous said...

I remember my mom making those when she was my den leader and thinking how cool they were. I have since made them for my kids. We found out they also make great swords and warhammers after a minture golf game turned into a renai fair.

Anonymous said...

Freaking brilliant!

Heffalump said...

You could do the same thing but drill the hole in the middle and make a croquet set too.
My boys would definately make weapons out of them, but it would still be fun to try. I have a dream of someday having a few holes of mini golf built in the back yard.

Anonymous said...

Oo I so love this!

Lei said...

I *love* homemade toys. Fun idea!

M said...

Great idea and crunchy too!

K T Cat said...

Love it! We may try it this weekend.

la bellina mammina said...

what a fantastic idea!! Thanks for the tip!

Judi W. said...

It wouldn't just be boys making weapons of these at my house!