Sunday, May 06, 2007

Blueberry Macadamia Coconut Muffins

Blueberry Coconut Macadamia MuffinsCould there be a tastier muffin? Doubtful, because these are fabulous. And if you're like me, I love muffins because they are so versatile: they can accompany breakfast or dinner, stand alone as a light meal with some fruit, or make a fun after-school snack.

Muffins too are about the easiest bread to make--you hardly even stir them--and they don't need to raise or chill. Baking time is quick and the smell is heavenly. Make them today I say!

¼ cup shredded coconut
2 tablespoons plus ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons plus ½ cup brown sugar, divided
5 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, divided
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg
1 large egg white
¾ cup nonfat buttermilk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon coconut extract
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 15 muffin tins or line the tin with muffin wrappers.

Combine coconut, 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons macadamia nuts then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil, mix and set aside.

Whisk the remaining ¾ cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl then whisk in the remaining ½ cup brown sugar, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, egg, egg white, buttermilk, butter and coconut extract until well-combined. Add the blueberries and the remaining 2 tablespoons nuts, stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the cups and sprinkle with the reserved topping, pressing into the batter slightly. Bake for 20 minutes.

***

Have you entered the Write-Away Contest yet? Deadline is May 15th.

Technorati tags:

9 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

I am not a huge blueberry fan, but I might have to try this and leave the blueberries out of a few of them just for me :) !! Scrumptious!

Joyful Days said...

I read the title of the post and I was hooked.

Oh. My. Goodness. If it had cream cheese it would be perfect. I am going to bed now (we are a few time zones apart) and dreaming of these muffins all night (well...whats left of it).

Wait!! I could put some cream cheese on top. I am hopeless.

You win. They are on my to-do list.

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Those look heavenly - and I've got blueberries from my parents' house in my freezer.

I think I know what I am making for the teacher appreciation breakfast this week.

Thanks!

Daisy said...

Mmm. I'd have to make it without the coconut (no one else in my house likes it), but the macadamia nuts sound scrumptious.

my4kids said...

Oh those look so good! I love blueberry muffins. So are you working on my cookbook yet???hehe

la bellina mammina said...

YUMMY!!

Anonymous said...

oh wow! Those sooooo look good!
I'm going to definitely have to try them out! Thanks for a great recipe. I really enjoyed your blog!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I require these right now.

Oh, and Hysteria was my FAVORITE tape. I too saw Def Leppard "in the round" when they came through town. Oh, Rick Allen...

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Here's the problem--I like muffins, but they don't like me. I've never made a successful batch before. Either they stick or burn or stay uncooked in the middle. My loving mother tells me it's my oven. ;) Yours sound so delicious though I might just try them in a loaf pan, which works much better, thankfully.