Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Decorating Children's Rooms

Antique Train PostcardsWhen Spencer and David were younger I decorated their room on an antique train theme with dark reds for the patchwork quilts, tiny toy trains on the shelves, posters of trains on the walls and red iron train handle pulls for the chest of drawers.

But when I wanted pictures of trains to frame for the walls I couldn't find anything that suited. I like black and white pictures and didn't want cartoon trains.

I found instead a website that deals in rare postcards of every variety imaginable and there found vintage and antique postcards of trains suitable for framing. Even with the cost of shipping they were less expensive than buying a print (about $1 or $2 a card) and had the rugged, rustic look I was going for.

The boys have outgrown the train theme and I'm getting rid of it all so knowing that I didn't spend a fortune on wall art is a comforting thing. Anyone need a set of antique train postcards?

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.

Technorati tags:

10 comments:

Robin said...

I've framed some cute little kilim weavings (think dollhouse rug) I picked up in Turkey. Sometimes it's the non-traditional stuff that makes the best content.

PS Still having trouble with your blog, so two comments in one - Itai (my 6 year old) was MUCHO impressed with the swordplay and would very much like to enroll in the pirate school.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I don't need antique train postcards, but it is a great idea! I've done something similar with a paperback book of old coal-mining photos that I bought on ebay. I wasn't sure why I was buying it at the time (other than my fascination with the subject, coming from a coal-mining area), but the day after it arrived, I went to a flea market and there was a set of frames, mats included, that went perfectly with the photos :)

Deb said...

Maybe. It would depend on how many and what rail lines. But my husband is pretty much a freak about anything steam powered.

Unknown said...

My son LOVES trains!! If no one would like them, I am POSITIVE it would make my son's day to receive them in the mail :-)

vanishingword said...

I like the idea, it never crossed my mind to use postcards. Would you believe i collect old post cards of mexico and trees? What are your boys into now if not the trains? Don't tell me girls!!!

Jordan McCollum said...

Maybe you should add them to the prize for the write away contest. Trains, vacations....

Heffalump said...

That is a great idea! I will have to use that for our boys at some point. Two of mine have been obsessed with trains, particularly my youngest one. He loves anything trains. I see your postcards have already been claimed, but thank you for the idea!

Chris said...

What a great idea!

Daisy said...

Hmmm...Any more details on the train pix? Do you know what line they are, etc.? My husband is a train buff.

The Estrogen Files said...

That is so cool! My FIL was a railroad guy back when the TELEGRAPH was cutting-edge technology. He adores trains and has passed that love along to his kids and gr'kids.