Sunday, May 20, 2007

Homemade Granola

Homemade GranolaWhen I mentioned my favorite cold cereals and my love for granola I had several kind requests for my granola recipe. It's actually my mother's recipe, the one she used on us for years. The one that made me a granola addict, the one that started it all. It's like the blueprint by which all other granolas should be compared.

As a note, it makes a huge batch so you'll need a large, feet-soaking-sized mixing bowl. Should you not have one you can cut the recipe in half and make half at a time or (shhh!) mix it in your sink--properly cleaned and stopped up of course--I often make it in half-batches, one with lovely luscious raisins for Spencer and me and one without raisins for the rest of the heathen dogs.

I'm entering this in Stephanie's Make it from Scratch carnival.

8 cups oatmeal
6 cups buckwheat flakes
2 cups wheat germ
3 cups coconut
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cups raisins, Craisins or nuts

Bake at 225 spread in a shallow baking pan for 3 hours total, stirring gently every ½ hour. You'll know it's done when it begins to turn a lovely golden color, but watch it because once it's done quickly and you wouldn't want to burn it or make it too crunchy.

Technorati tags:

21 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

This sounds lovely! Where do you find buckwheat flakes? Bulk food store? I don't know if my kiddos like coconut. Would it ruin the recipe to leave it out?? Just the picture makes me hungry! Do you eat this with milk like a cereal or as a topping for yogurt/ice cream, or just munch on it out of the jar? How do you store it? Bags, containers? Freezer?

Sorry to bother you with so many questions. :)

Anonymous said...

More Q's for you (this looks delish!) Are those coconut FLAKES or just regular, sweetened coconut that comes in a bag? And are you refering to the buckwheat groats that are like oatmeal and come in the health food/bulk section of the store? And why so much salt? Thanks! Vickie G.

Joyful Days said...

I actually think I might be able to make this! Sounds fabulous.

Magpie said...

Yum. It's very like the recipe I make (http://magpiemusing.blogspot.com/2007/04/crunchy.html) though I've never used buckwheat. I also cook it faster for a shorter period of time - but my recipe has no water so it doesn't need to dry out the way yours would.

And Vickie - you need the salt for flavor, and that's not much salt for the volume of oats and stuff.

I'll try buckwheat flakes in my next batch.

Scribbit said...

It's shredded coconut, the kind in bags. YOu could leave it out but it would change the flavor a bit.

I use Wheaties or Bran flan too instead of buck wheat flakes (sorry I failed to mention that, I meant to).

And I just store it in plastic containers, it doesn't last long enough for me to have to freeze.

Islandsparrow said...

Mmm that sounds good.I love granola - especially mixed in yogurt.

Heffalump said...

I love maknig granola. When we make it we stir in peanut butter and honey after microwaving the peanut butter to make it runny. Then we bake it as usual. Its great stuff!

An Ordinary Mom said...

Yum, I will take mine without raisins.

Buckwheat flakes? Where does one purchase those?

Ruth Dynamite said...

This sounds totally delicious. Thanks!

Daisy said...

Mmm...sounds wonderful. Does it work without the coconut? My husband and daughter won't touch coconut.

Fiddledeedee said...

That looks yummy. I make my own too. And use it instead of store bought cereal. Now, suddenly I'm starving.

Michelle Alley said...

Wow, this looks really good! Thanks for sharing :-)

la bellina mammina said...

Thanks for sharing - sounds yummy!

M said...

Can't wait to try this!

Stephanie Appleton said...

Wow that is a huge recipe!Now Tim is really going to bug me to make this! :) I might have to do 1/2 with coconut and half with out. I don't like the stuff!

Thanks for the Make It From Scratch entry!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Hmm, I had always been told that you should leave the raisins (or other dried fruit) out during the cooking process and then add them afterwards so that they don't become tooth chipping rocks! Do yours stay nice even with the baking?

Scribbit said...

Jenn: you bring up a good point. I've done it both ways and
usually as long as I don't overcook it the raisins are fine going in
early. But you could add them later just to be sure.

PunditMom said...

Oh, Mr. PunditMom will be SOOO happy when I make this!

TeaMouse said...

That is a deliciouis looking recipe - do you also make homemade granola bars?

I'm going to try looking for buckwheat flakes at our local old fashioned food store - if anyone has it they will. Otherwise you can use bran flakes?

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum!! I added macadamia nuts and slivered almonds...so good! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I like mine as: dry oatmeal, raisins, peanuts (with skin) and milk. I don't miss the sugar at all.