Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Construction Paper Castles Fit for a King

Construction Paper Castle CraftTo continue on my series on summer crafts for kids siege here's a terrific idea that I found long ago in a discarded mystery library book but it's proved to be a favorite with both my boys and my girls.

To make this fun paper castle all you need is a stack of construction paper, glue, scissors and maybe some paper clips for added clamping strength while the glue dries.

Roll the paper into different sized tubes, gluing the edges to hold it together and using the paper clips to clamp it if necessary. Add some crenellations if desired--that's your Word of the Day, crenellations: those little sticky-up notches on the tops of castle parapets that were supposed to protect people from arrows, not to be confused with crenulations which are wavy edges and bumps like you'd see on the edge of a seashell or in fabric or in geology. Wow I'm just full of info today aren't I?

Anyway, cut slits in the bottoms of the tubes and then slide those slits onto another tub to stack the tubes in interesting shapes and designs. Hours of fun for the budding medieval architects in your life.

Now all you need are some swallows with coconuts and it'll be perfect.

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.

***

Have you entered this month's Write-Away Contest? The theme is traditions.

Technorati tags:

21 comments:

Robin said...

Looks like great fun. Can't wait to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite tip so far -- I love castles, but would have never thought of making my own 3D ones with the boys! Thanks, Michelle!

Mrs. O said...

Definitely going to try this.

Jane said...

What I love about this is that with a minimal amount of directions they can do it all themselves.

~Amber~ said...

Would that be African or European swallows? That's an awesome project.

Shana said...

Great idea.

Anonymous said...

Must one be a child to do this project?!! It looks like fun for anyone-- oh say, me, for instance.

Aisling said...

Wish my boys were still at castle building age!

M said...

Great idea! We'll try it.

Ice Cream said...

we just made one of these the other day! My son loved it to death. It even had a working draw bridge using thread and a drinking straw. I like how your castle has so many possibilities. We will have to add this to our list of fun things to do. I wonder how big we could get ours?

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! My girls are going to start speaking your name in hushed reverence for giving them so many fun things to do! :)

Maddy said...

We've done something similar with cardboard rolls [discards from toilet paper ] If your fine motor skills are challenged it's actually easier to cut something firmer [for some children]
Best wishes

Ni Yachen said...

Cool! My boys would love that.

Patois42 said...

This looks great. When we finally get out for the summer, I think this will be our first craft.

my4kids said...

Thats a great idea Scribbit. The boys would probably like to make those but then they would drive their matchbox cars through them.

Cherie Nelson said...

What a great craft idea!

Anonymous said...

This is really cool! I'm definitely doing this - my son will love it. He's really into projects like this. Looking forward to perusing your blog for some more craft ideas!

Health Watch Center said...

Hi Michelle,

Well all we need are more papers and glue...and can't even imagine about cleaning after when its get done...but definitely its going to be good fun...thanks for sharing a good one.

Parenting

Myth said...

*pout* someone beat me to the "African or European" comment... great project - I shall save this for future reference!

Stu said...

Your post on Construction Paper Castles has been nominated for Hot Stuff Of The Week over at our site, GNMParents.com - Good luck in the voting!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

My son is going to love this project thank you so much!