Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Geodesic Dome

Geodesic DomeFor my fifth week of summer vacation activities I've got my very most favorite kids' craft ever: The Geodesic Dome. This appeared in FamilyFun magazine many years ago and the moment I saw it I was in love.

It's the simplest fort a child can build though there's even a bit of geometry involved to make you feel as if you're teaching them something on the sly. For the easy step-by-step instructions go to the above link at FamilyFun's site, the dome assembles fairly quickly and easily if you follow the directions.

You'll need 100 sheets of newspaper (four sheets rolled together diagonally to make 25 separate paper rolls) Then you'll trim the ends of each roll and staple them together in a specific way to make the dome. If you want to be extra fancy you could cover the sides with colored tissue paper or just use a light blanket. My kids loved it.

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.

Technorati tags:

16 comments:

my4kids said...

that looks like it could be a lot of fun! My kids would like it. is it very sturdy?

Catherine said...

I'm so intimidated by these kinds of projects! But you've convinced me to at least go read the link. :)

Heffalump said...

I LOVE Family Fun Magazine. Always great ideas. We will have to try this one. If anything it will keep them busy for a while.

J Fife said...

Your energy and creativity are amazing. Turning on the garden hose and putting out some buckets is about as far as I can go.

Sheila said...

I think my son would love it!

Mrs. O said...

I think I will tuck this into the "Mom, I'm bored " file. It never hurts to have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, yeah! We have done this before and it totally rocks as an activity, a maths lesson, and a breakaway swashbuckling sword fight!

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Hmmmm, the thought "I think we'll build a geodesic dome today, kids" sounds a little intimidating. But I guess I could manage to round up enough newspaper and a stapler. It does look very fun.

Ni Yachen said...

Cool! How long did it last? It looks like it would be destroyed in the first fight. But now I have a reason to finally get buy the news paper.

JAM said...

That's way cooler than the newspaper Peter Pan hats I used to beg my Dad to make me. He doesn't know how lucky he was I didn't know about this as a kid.

deedee said...

Très cool!

Myth said...

wow - I'm definitely saving that one! (Wombat already has a geodesic playgym outside for when he's a bit older)

Jennifer B. said...

That looks FUN!

Ms Eva said...

Very cool! TFS

I haven't done this particular project, but I have built toothpick bridges with 100s of 4th graders.... we proved over and over that triangles are VERY strong structurally. :)

Magpie said...

That looks awesome!

Candace April said...

This is so awesome. You and Veronique over at little elephants should collaborate on a kids craft/project book. So I can buy it and save it for when Baby Diva is old enough...I would love to have all these awesome ideas in one place.