Sunday, July 01, 2007

Fancy Two-Toned Drinks

Fancy Two-Toned DrinksWe've always called these drinks "Fancy Drinks." I wish a had a better name but it's what we called them the first time I made them eight years ago and the name stuck. Simple. Direct. Comprehensive.

The whole trick is to mix orange juice or grapefruit juice with lemon-lime soda in equal amounts. A cup of 7-up with a cup of orange juice for example. Fill a glass with the mixture then gently and carefully pour a couple tablespoons of grenadine (cherry syrup) into the bottom.

The grenadine sinks making a beautiful two-tone drink guaranteed to impress any child and most adults. In the picture I used lemonade because I was out of orange juice but you get the idea. Orange juice really works better and looks prettier--just a little advice.

Cheers!

lemon-lime soda
orange juice or grapefruit juice
grenadine

Use these drinks to celebrate Canada Day today, and in celebration of that great nation, Canada, I present a little something to make you smile:



Makes you want to brush up on your geography, no? Oh, and "poutine" is a French-Canadian dish, not the Canadian prime minister.

Technorati tags:

20 comments:

Robin said...

That video is absolutely hysterical! Thanks for sharing.

my4kids said...

Oh Wow that is hysterical, Scribbit! Thanks I needed that.....
Also in some ways that is really sad......(shaking my head here)

Becca said...

Oh, that is soooo wrong!

Jenn in Holland said...

hahahahaha! That's great. We actually have some Candadian friends staying with us this weekend so I can't wait to show them the video!
Thanks for the giggles.

janet copenhaver said...

Pretty darn funny. I loved the kid that said "hey wait a minute, Canada has providences". Good for him!

R said...

Fancy drink looks yummy! We all need more fancy in our lives.

Inkling said...

That video always makes me laugh. I asked my Canadian husband this morning if there is a pledge of allegiance or something, and if the flag means to them what the USA flag does to us. All I got was, "Well, we get pretty serious about our anthem." And when I asked him how old Canada was today I got referred to my history book.....still have to research that one.

A friend told me last night that when I'm finally eligible to take my Canadian citizenship test that it won't be incredibly important to study the nitty gritty details. Basically, I need to know things like what country is south of us, and who someone like Stephen Harper is called. =)

Kate said...

As an American who is now living in Canada, ouch.

Lovely blog!

odat_kim said...

Gotta Love Rick Mercer! Have you seen this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpVH7kIb_8

(FYI, we're 140 years today).

One of my favourites though is when as co-ops some Torontonians go to the states to work, like Michegan, Washington, Oregon (the "northern border states") and they ask us how we like coming south. Actually we've come north...
Kim

Becca said...

I forgot to say, I worked at a restaurant with a bar and there was a drink like yours called a Tequila Sunrise. I always thought it was lovely. I guess it was tequila and grenadine and orange juice.

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Canada (my husband is Canadian) and I found that video hilarious. Before I moved to Canada I could not name Canada's provinces. It is kind of shameful how little Americans know or care about Canada.

Amy said...

That drink looks delicious!

Chris said...

I cringe when I watch "Talking to Americans" but Rick Mercer is hilarious.

Islandsparrow said...

tut tut Rick Mercer - he's a bad boy- but hilariously funny.

I lived in Philly for a year and when people heard that I was from Canada they would say "you speak English really well."

The Tour Marm said...

I'm on it! I'm designing a tour for a school group to visit the Capitol of Canada in Toronto to see the National Igloo! (I guess I have to get rid of my 20-hour Canadian watch, eh?)

Anonymous said...

You have an awesome blog, love it and a great set of links. I would love to have it linked at to mine, hope you don't mind. you can visit me at http://thehub.yesdebtfree.org

thanks, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. We had a big family party on Saturday night and served these "fancy drinks" and they were a huge hit!

JChevais said...

That video was HILARIOUS!

I was practically weeping. THANK YOU! God. I miss Canadian humour.

Anonymous said...

cool!
that left me laughing!

Anonymous said...

i dunno but i gotta try that one thanks for sharing though.