Tuesday, July 03, 2007

July's Write-Away Contest

Ceramic Plate by Toni MaurySummer is the time for adventures, for camping and travel and nights under the stars so for this month's contest the topic "My Most Adventurous Moment." Now depending on how wild you are this could be anything from living in the jungles of Borneo for a year, driving in California rush-hour traffic, or eating unidentifiable selections from the menu at the corner take-out place.

Maybe your adventure was marriage or parenthood, maybe it's been learning something new later in your life or picking up a new habit. This doesn't have to be Fear Factor, whatever you've done that was new and exciting counts as an adventure in my book. The entries will be judged more on the quality of writing than on the size of the adventure, so don't let the topic intimidate.

So once again, here are the rules:

1. Write a post or find one in your archives about your most adventurous moment. Email your post's permalink to me at: scribbit at gmail.com any time through Wednesday July 18th. If you fail to meet the July 18th deadline I will still happily publish the link to your post and include it in the list of entries but it will not be judged. I reserve the right to reject submissions if they fail to meet the topic or if they contain objectionable content.

2. Publish a link to the contest page here at Scribbit in either your entry post or in a separate post.

3. Check back here on Friday July 20th when I will post a complete list of the entries along with the Write-Away Winner and any honorable mentions our judge saw fit to award.

Our guest judge this month is Susan from Food Blogga whose adventures just continue to mount as an east-coast transplant in California. What makes Susan's blog wonderful (well, besides the great food, recipes and photographs) are her stories--yes she's got it all. She's an excellent writer who can spin a tale over something as simple as grapefruit and has kindly consented to look over the entries to find her favorite. Thanks so much Susan!

This month I'm handing out another ceramic plate, pictured at top, done by Alaskan artist Toni Maury from the Anchorage Gallery of Artique, Ltd. It's really a beautiful piece and certainly a worthy prize for the winner. If you go to Artique, Ltd.'s site you can see a sample of her work and a similar plate in blue.

But besides this the winner and all runners-up or honorable mentions (I leave that up to the judge to award them) will also get to take home this attractive Write-Away Winner button which he or she may display in their sidebar if they wish. Write-Away Contest Winner
***

Congratulations to Cathi from El Reno, Oklahoma for winning Saturday's giveaway, I'll have another one this week that will again be open to all readers. And may I take this chance to say thank you to all the visitors that come by for the drawing? I enjoy reading each of the notes I get in the message section of the entries. I wish I could respond to each one but given the quantity (close to 400) I can't do more than enjoy and sometimes chuckle at your comments. I wish I had prizes to give to everyone who enters!

Technorati tags:

20 comments:

Heffalump said...

Scribbit...in 1. of the rules part of the contest it still says traditions instead of My Most Adventurous moment. Just FYI in case you want to change that so it doesn't confuse people new to the contest...

Jenn in Holland said...

I don't know if anything beats the moment I ate soap, but since that wasn't an intentional adventure I may have to think on this one awhile...
There is always the silkworm treat from Korea I ate once.
I am kind of stuck on the fear factor reference here. Hmmmmm.
Would love to judge for you if you're stuck Scribbit. I can't wait to read the entries either way...

Patois42 said...

Can't wait to read of others' adventures!

BTW, your castle creating activity was a big hit at my house and at many homes where my kids' friends reside. I gave all credit to you, oh great one.

Daisy said...

Motherhood: it's not just a job, it's an adventure. I'll just have to choose which adventure!

Ladybug said...

I can't wait to read these! I just found your blog and it is great!!

Lei said...

Okay... I think this one might have my juices flowing. :)

Stephanie Appleton said...

Love this topic! ;)
Now if I could just find time to write about it! We've had lots of grand adventures.

Anonymous said...

http://willows95988.typepad.com/tongue_cheek/2007/07/a-girl-thing.html

Here is my response to your fun game.
Thanks to French Mountain Dweller I found you.

Anonymous said...

Please enter me too!

http://mountaindweller.com/2007/07/04/married-on-4th-july/

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

Mine's up. http://bloginmyeye.wordpress.com/2007/07/06/my-most-adventurous-moment/
Makes me nervous just reading it again (did I mention that I'm NOT the adventurous type?)

Unknown said...

Since I actually just posted recently about our big adventure, I am in for sure. I don't even have to think about what to write... how cool is that!

BitterQueen

The Tour Marm said...

Hi up there!

I'll take a stab at it!

I ahven't mastered HTML so here goes:
http://tourmarm.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-first-real-adventure.html

Tour Marm

P.S.Two teachers from Anchorage are coming down in two weeks for a 'fam' tour in advance of their '08 class trip. I'm spending five days with them!

Ms Eva said...

I love this month's topic. My adventure not planned - but was certainly exciting. :)
http://starfishncoffee.blogspot.com/2007/07/unexpected-float-my-most-adventurous.html

Anonymous said...

OK -- I've had this post for awhile -- and I've been thinking. It fits. Thanks for the great topic. Adventure

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks for the topic that finally got me to write this story down. I had fun reliving it.

http://denyingsoccermom.blogspot.com/2007/07/whooping-it-up.html

Rachel Robertson said...

My biggest unplanned adventure was riding out Hurricane Katrina on my roof. By the time they said evacuate the roads were clogged or closed so we had no choice but to stay home. We did everything we could to prepare but did not prepare for the water to come up to the attic. We grabbed each other, a bunch of old clothes and headed to the roof. You know you are in an adventure when the water in your home has whitecaps on them! It was an adventure I never, ever want to repeat but it also taught me to never throw away old clothes as they really come in handy when you need a rope!

Jen at Semantically driven said...

Here we go again - Being a parent. Is it my most adventurous moment?

Robin said...

I'm e-mailing you mine. I had a lot of fun reliving an embarrassing adventure from my childhood.

Gosh we do some stupid things as children...

At A Hen's Pace said...

I decided to enter your contest as something new and different...an adventure! ;}

My entry is here:

http://atahenspace.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-most-adventurous-moment.html

Jenn in Holland said...

Shoot! I almost forgot.
http://hollandlife.blogspot.com/2007/07/exodus.html

Linking it back to you now. :)