Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Del Monte Fruit Chillers

Del Monte Fruit ChillersSo okay, is anyone else out there already addicted to these little guys? Costco was carrying them this summer and they've been on sale at Fred Meyer which is just enabling my growing habit.

They're a new product from Del Monte and are little cups of oh-so-tasty sorbet that come in raspberry, mango and strawberry. Or more accurately, "Arctic Strawberry," "Polar Raspberry" and "Glacial Mango"--as if I don't get enough snow in my life as it is. It cracks me up every time, I mean who ever heard of a Glacial Mango? Ridiculous but who cares, I'm slurping them up anyway.

The great thing about them is that they come unfrozen and you can keep them in your cupboard, hidden from your children, carefully guarded as a Personal Treat, then throw them in the freezer when you're ready for the good stuff. They freeze overnight and in the morning you've suddenly got single-sized portions of sorbet at your beck and call--though no where on the packaging does it say you have to stick to eating just one. This is the good life I tell you. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

My only gripe (and I hope you're listening Mr. Del Monte, if that IS your real name) is that they're 190 calories a piece. A little too fattening if you're trying to watch the thighs and if you love them as I do. I'd like it if they came out in a low-calorie variety. Maybe they're just waiting to see if the product catches on before making a low-sugar version. You know what that means, don't you? I'm going to have to buy a ton of them to convince Del Monte that these things are fabulous so they make the sugar-free version. Who's with me?

***

Congratulations to George at an undisclosed location (sounds like he's living in Quantico doesn't it?) for winning last Saturday's giveaway of a Shoshona Snow Ceramic mug. Another Saturday, another giveaway. Join again this Saturday for what may be your lucky day.

Technorati tags:

17 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

So, theoretically these things of yumminess could be shipped to someone not living in the US, right? Like someone living in Holland maybe?

SabineM said...

wow, I have not seen those. Will look out for them!

Carina said...

I've never actually seen those before. I'll have to look around here.

The calories are high, yeah, but since I'd just be eating chocolate peanut butter fudge ice cream anyway...

Lei said...

Love these... they're especially good if you let them get a little slushy around the sides first. Mmmmmm!

flip flop mama said...

I bought these at Costco a couple weeks ago and LOVE them!

Loralee Choate said...

I haven't seen them, but they look awesome. I hear you on fruit products and their addictiveness.

Right now, I am addicted to Dole's plastic bottled peaches (I will never bottle again, they are that good. And I'm picky about my peaches)

I swear they put an addictive chemical in them that makes you crave them fortnightly. (So does the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes!)

And they are about 500 calories for a 20 oz. bottle. And yup. I often eat the whole thing. Sigh...

Heffalump said...

You're not supposed to pay attention to the calories...just the word FRUIT on the package. Fruit is good for you...always remember that.

Tamara said...

I haven't tried these. They sound great. Have you tried a fruit sorbet -like dessert that they had at Costco? I am not sure if they have them now but they are little fruits cut in half, hollowed out and then filled with delicious sorbet. I think they are in the freezer section. They aren't actually fruit but they are pretty lo-cal. I am heading to Costco today to find these and I think I might look for the Del Monte too.

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

I looked at these but they have so much sugar in them!

I prefer to have my sugar in candy.

M said...

I thought these were good too, but my girls hated them! Go figure.

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked to hear that you hide treats from your children! [I thought that was just me?]
Cheers

Joan said...

These sound divine but the sugar would kill me. The problem with making sugar-free things for the freezer is that very few sugar substitutes have the same property or taste when frozen! It's a tricky business, but I would love it if these came sugar-free.

We ate our way through a mountain of sugar free Jello pudding snacks this summer. Hmmm. Wonder how those would freeze?

Suzanne said...

I got the same ones... from Costco. For some reason, the kids prefer Otter Pops to these things, which is ok. More for me.

Terri said...

Just this past week I bought some of these. Both my girls love them so I have to ration them out. I like the hiding it from the kids idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

I had no idea they were 190 calories! That shan't deter my consumption of them, however, though it probably should.

Anonymous said...

i can't find them everywhere. When I do, I buy lots and lots.

Anonymous said...

I am soooo hooked on these little cups of heaven. I hide them in my freezer, behind the frozen veggies, where I know the kids wont look. I have recently tried peach. It was pretty good, but mango is still the best. I buy a couple packs at a time, and feel like I'm jonesing if I run out.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Del Monte here - thanks for your support! We just made a "tube" version like otter pops for the kids. We are working hard to develop a Sugar Free version of the cups, but please send your comments in through our website so our marketing folks know they are on the right path!