Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Name That Tune

The only way I've been able to keep my boys at the piano is by catering to their musical interests. We've been through "Take Me out to the Ball Game," "This Land Is Your Land," Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark and now these two mystery pieces that I've heard so often I'm humming them in my sleep. Can you name these tunes? Oh, and please forgive the horrendously long introduction for Spencer's piece. He won't play it without the intro--you know artists and their dedication to the craft and all that.





Next at the music store? I'm guessing I'll be buying Pirates of the Caribbean or maybe Shrek. There's only so much Harry Potter a Mom can take before I'm banging my head against the wall begging for relief from hearing the same thing all day long.

***

Congratulations to Judy of Ocilla, Georgia for winning the GloStar Bag cosmetic case in this week's Saturday Giveaway. What prize do I have to give away this Saturday? One way to find out . . .

Technorati tags:

16 comments:

Mrs. O said...

Love the Harry Potter music. But day after day? That would certainly get to me. You're a great mom - giving them current music to play.

Anonymous said...

I forgot the title of this song but I sing it everyday. That's the only way I kill germs in my room. I have a toxic, poisonous voice. It goes "I stand alone, I stand alone", Green Day. Yaay, do I get a prize for it? No? Pah! Haha.

Megan Cobb said...

I was the same way when I was taking piano lessons. I'd practice the ones that interested me and were current. 'Cause those would be the ones that my friends would think were cool when I played them. I never got to songs as complicated as your boys' selections though. They did well! I bet it's been so much fun to watch them learn and improve their skills over time! Lucky Mama.

Heather said...

What a great way to keep them interested. What sweet little piano men you have! I wish I had learned how to play.

Tammy said...

It was fun to see your boys playing. But I do have to admit that I'm not current with tunes boys would like, so I have no idea what they are playing. But they did a fantastic job! How long have they been taking lessons? Or are you teaching them?

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

great job, They will thank you later(much later) for forcing them to learn the piano.

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I'd practice all day just to learn Music Box Dancer. Oh, I love that song.

SabineM said...

we have Pirates, Harry Potter, Lord of THe RIngs, and Star wars for my daughter to be inspired to practice her cello. IT works!

Now she found a book on popular songs, so she is giving that a try. She is 13, so she is into all the pop stuff.. ;)
WE are in Steamboat Springs on Vacation and it reminds us of our time in Alaska. The village does..
I just put a couple photos if you want to look. will take more

Lei said...

They have good taste at least! The music in those scores is well written... you can tell they love the full sound of those deep resounding chords. Ah, very boy friendly. ;)

J Fife said...

Talented. Smart. Cute. What more could you ask for?

Anonymous said...

Good for you -- I am thankful that my parents made me learn to play the piano! I remember having a book of show tunes that I loved (nerd alert!). I still know all the words to a LOT of Rodgers & Hammerstein songs (ahem... did I say NERD ALERT!?). Then I moved on to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Aaaahhhh...

You just got a little piano rendition of a Green Day song...

Shauna said...

Boulevard of Broken Dreams!

Michelle Alley said...

As a piano teacher, I commend you for keeping their interest in lessons! Keep those "theme" songs coming!

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome that you have kept their interest that way! Even though it may get on the annoying side!

Believer said...

It's all in the compromising! It shows your interest in their choices and the significance of freedom as individuals. Kudos to you!