Sunday, September 09, 2007

Goat Cheese Panini

Goat Cheese PaniniThis is such a simple recipe I don't know that there actually is a recipe but for all you out there who have grown up with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and think that a sad little Kraft American cheese single on Wonder Bread is the way to go I'm hoping to expand your horizons.

Go to the fancy cheese section of the grocery store and pick out a nice chevre--that's just an all-purpose term for French goat cheese. Not feta, heavens no. A good, fresh chevre such as Montrachet should be soft and spreadable.

Then get a rustic, crusty loaf of bread--Italian, French, sourdough, rye, it doesn't matter just so long as it's thick and crusty and fresh. Spread the cheese on the bread as thick or as thin as you'd like and brush either melted butter or light olive oil on the outside and grill. Melted butter won't tear your bread up the way hard butter can and butter will give it a slightly browner color than olive oil will. You can use a fancy panini machini or grill it in a frying pan the way everyone else does it.

If you want to get creative experiment with sprinkling some fresh chopped herbs over the cheese--perhaps rosemary, oregano, thyme or basil would be good. You could include roasted bell peppers, grilled slices of zucchini or (my favorite) sauteed mushroom slices.

If you have to have meat, try some prosciutto but consider going with just the naked goat cheese. It is really heavenly. Easy, tasty and it goes great with a fresh tomato soup (which gives you a hint to what recipe I'll be posting next week).

Technorati tags:

19 comments:

M said...

Yum! Thanks for the idea- grilled cheese is big around here and we need to branch out!

Julie Pippert said...

Yum, love goat cheese! That looks delicious!

Julie
Using My Words

Terri said...

My mouth is watering. This sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

That looks super-yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, with mushrooms.

Unknown said...

OK that is just making me HUNGRY!PS- I am posting Autumn Crafts today : )

Shelby said...

yummo :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm...so simple yet I never even considered it.

Anonymous said...

My mother-in-law makes a pretty mean goat's cheese. I'll give your recipe a go!

luckyzmom said...

I mix monterey jack with sharp cheddar on rustic bread, spreading with butter, sometimes adding some type of thinly sliced meat, poultry or tuna as well as sliced tomatoes and or my favorite, fresh steamed green beans. I grill one side well in a frypan then turn it over, cover it with a small sheet of aluminum foil, then balance a bacon press on top. If I am making many I will use my long electric skillet and use a jellyroll pan that fits perfectly and weight it with the full teakettle.

I am definetely trying the chevre as soon as I can. And of course the perfect accompaniment is tomato soup. Any recipes for that?

Heffalump said...

I am an inexperienced cheese eater. I have only ever tried the basics...like cheddar, jack, colby, swiss etc. I have eaten brie before...but other than that I am pretty traditional in the cheese realm. I may have to expand my horizons...

Daisy said...

Mmm. My grilled cheeses tend to be conservative by comparison: usually good Wisconsin Cheddar or Colby with a thin slice of tomato, fresh from the garden of course. I like the spices suggested! They could possibly go with an America's Dairyland sandwich, too.

9milemom said...

Oh man that bread looks sooo good! Unfortunately I'm allergic to goat cheese. It's yummy but I get these annoying hives when I eat it.

Ice Cream said...

Ooooo, I LOVE goat cheese. Those look so good.

Beth Cotell said...

I can't stand grilled cheese made with Kraft American Singles. YUCK! This, however, sounds yummy!

Can't wait for the tomato soup recipe!

Anonymous said...

Mmm... sounds yummy. I've never tried goat cheese, but I will, based on your recommendation!

I'm hoping you'll be posting a recipe for a fresh tomato soup next week? There's got to be something out there better than canned. (and I even like canned tomato soup!)

snarflemarfle said...

That sounds delish!

And we don't eat Wonder Bread around here...it's all Mrs. Baird's. I'm sure that has something to do with the Mrs. Baird's bakery in my home town. I used to LOVE the field trips to the bakery...fresh, hot bread with butter right off the line. Yum-o!

Amy said...

These look so good! I love goat cheese and one of my favorite things to do is when I am roasting chicken breasts, I put a pat of goat cheese under the skin with some basil and bake it that way. It gets all ooey gooey and I love that!!

Candace April said...

Goat cheese fanatic here. We have a local goat farm and the cheese is heavenly.

I use olive oil with just a tiny bit of butter melted in the oil. This way you don't use too much butter, but still get the golden brown color.

I love mine with rosemary.