Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Knitted Halloween Spiders

The Winter BazaarWelcome to the third week of the Winter Bazaar. If you've missed the last two weeks there are great holiday ideas in the first and second week's editions that you can still visit and enjoy. And don't forget that each time you leave a link between October 3rd and October 24th you'll be entered to win one of two children's Halloween costumes: either a stinkbug or a green tyrannosaurus rex, size 6 approximately. Don't forget to link back to this page here at Scribbit so that people know where to find the other blogs' ideas.

***

Knitted SpiderEven if you're not a big knitter, these little guys are so cute, so fun and go together so quickly you can't help but give it a try!

Here's the pattern I came up with:

Using black worsted-weight acrylic yarn and U.S. size 6 double pointed needles, cast on 12 stitches. Knit the first row while spreading the 12 stitches out across three needles, 4 on each needle. Knit each row in the round until you have a tube that's approximately 3 inches long.

Pull out the needles but don't cast off. Instead, pull your yarn back through the open loops and pull tightly, knotting to secure. Stuff the tube with leftover black yarn and close the other end by gathering the stitches with some yarn on a large darning needle. This will be your body.

For one leg, cast on four stitches and knit in the round, spreading the stitches onto two needles (2 stitches on each needle). This is so small it can get a little tricky until you get used to it but don't worry, that comes quickly. Knit until the tube is five inches long then cast off. Repeat three more times for three more legs.

To make up the spider stack up the four legs and tie a piece of yarn around the middle of the bunch. Knot it securely and fan them out so they look like his legs. Lay the body tube on top of the knot and wrap the yarn up and over the body, tying and knotting it securely where the head should be. Wrap the yarn once more around the neck and knot it again down under the spider's chin, then string the yarn on a darning needle and thread the ends of the yarn through the body, trimming to conceal them.

Add some googly eyes and sew on a gold clasp to make it into a pin or glue on a magnet. Dangle them from a doorway, secure a scarf with them or pin them to your favorite winter hat. They're so cute you'll want several of them. I happen to have several for sale in my Etsy shop if you're too busy to make your own.

Leave your link to your own great Halloween ideas--thanks for participating!


Technorati tags:

27 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

What if you aren't a knitter? One of these days I am going to learn this art form.

In the mean time, I will bake my pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and sip the "good stuff."

Amber M. said...

I've really enjoyed reading the ideas of other moms to find fun activities for my little ones! Thanks for the gathering spot of inspiration!

Maude Lynn said...

Oh, I wish that I could knit! My daughter would love that spider.

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

That's about the cutest spider I've seen! Especially since it won't crawl across the floor.

Montserrat said...

Knitting is one of those things I've tried over and over again with no luck. Darn it! Those spiders are, dare I say it, cute!

Cecily R said...

I can't leave my name on your widget (or is it widgit?), because I stink at this whole crafty idea thing, but your spiders are adorable!

The closest thing I have to ideas is I had both my kids draw something Halloweeny when they were five and I used the drawings as patterns and stitched them. My hope is to have my 5 month old do one when she's five too.

my4kids said...

Oh I wish I could knit! Those spiders are cute!!

Any patterns for crochet?? I can do that.

Melissa Markham said...

What cool spiders! And your winter bazaar idea is very nifty too!

Mary Alice said...

I can't knit, but fortunately my 15 yr old daughter can. I'll set her on this project! She actually got in trouble for knitting in Spanish class before Christmas last year - she was working on a scarf!

Amy W said...

This is cute if only I knitted...

Tammy said...

I hate spiders (LOL) but I do have a suggestion for the legs: have you thought of knitting I-cords instead? It would be much easier, I'm sure! =)

Chris said...

That's so cute!

M said...

These are very cute. I'm going to try them!

Michelle Constantinescu said...

Cute, cute!!! These are just darling. Your new look here is bee-u-tee-ful too, by the way!

Anonymous said...

This would be great if only I knew how to knit! You aren't giving lessons are you? Your blog is always fun to read!

C said...

Once it cools down a bit, I think I'll be pulling out my knitting needles. Right now, I'm just so crazy addicted to sewing!!

Candace April said...

I've posted mine--Going Green for Halloween!

Anonymous said...

I have nothing, but love seeing everyone else's brilliant and fun ideas.

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

I used to knit..once upon a time when I lived in Anchorage, but now I sew...I never learned to knit anything that cute, however!

Terri said...

That spider is so cute, but I'm not a knitter. Now if it could be crocheted then I might be able to do it.

Ami Scott said...

I can't make one of those spiders. It's awesome! And I left my post for Forest Cottage.

Ami Scott said...

Oops. I meant to say I can't wait to make one of those spiders! That's what I get for getting in too much of a hurry!

Candace April said...

I finally got done posting all my birthday contests so I was able to get another Halloween post up on Mamanista!

I saw this cool book in the Met catalog about Paper Bag Masks, Hats, Headdresses, etc... Really enjoying your carnival!!!

Anonymous said...

This spider is absolutely adorable! I'm simply going to have to learn how to knit.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic! Love them, must try and remember how to knit!

Anonymous said...

Super cute!

Anonymous said...

Great pattern, thank you for sharing this! Rose xx