Sunday, December 09, 2007

Open-faced Turkey Melt

Open-faced Turkey MeltAfter all the fattening joys I've been throwing at you I'm trying to lighten things up a bit. This sandwich isn't anything earth-shattering but it's light, healthy and easy which should fit in nicely with your holiday plans. I love sandwiches--and a side of mango goes so well with this one.

4 slices whole grain bread, lightly toasted
4 tablespoons low-fat bottled Thousand Island dressing
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
6 ounces sliced smoked turkey breast
1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup alfalfa sprouts

Preheat broiler. Place bread on baking sheet and spread 1 tablespoon dressing on each slice of bread. Top with onions, turkey and avocado. Sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese melts and bubbles, top with alfalfa sprouts and serve.

Technorati tags:

10 comments:

Robin said...

Yum! I do something similar with chipotle mayonnaise (and I often skip the veggies, but you've inspired me to get off my lazy butt and put them back on).

Pieces said...

This looks fabulous! It is going on my meal plan for the week.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

This sounds like something everyone in my little fam would love.

And you know what might be good instead of Thousand Island? RANCH dressing. You know us Texans - not afraid to put a little Ranch dressing on anything that will sit still.

frog ponds rock... said...

mmm sounds yummy. I am a bit hungry I have all those ingredients except for the turkey.. mmm I might use ham instead..

cheers kim

Amy said...

ohhh that looks so yummy!!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

THAT looks better than the version our little deli restaurant sells! YUM.

Lisa said...

That looks so amazingly yummy. Am drooling now and hungry....

Kayris said...

Just a note, I read somewhere that sprouts should never be fed to babies or very young children because of the danger of foodborne illness. Yummy looking sandwich!

Ice Cream said...

Sanwiches have taken over now that I can't eat ice cream. I can't wait to try this. I love avacado on sandwiches.

Pieces said...

I'm back. These sandwiches are great! I made them tonight and my family loved them. Even better, some neighbors stopped by and we invited them to stay. I whipped up a few more sandwiches and we were good to go. Easy and yet a little fancy.