Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Indoor Ice Fishing

Indoor Ice FishingThe Winter BazaarFor this week's Winter Bazaar idea here's an easy game that should keep the kids entertained no matter what the weather outside is like.

Using a long dowl (which can be purchased in the hardware sections of most stores) make a fishing pole with a string tied to a strong magnet. I've found that the easiest way to tie it is to buy one of those super magnets that are shrink wrapped to a piece of carboard. I leave it in the wrapper, cut a square around it and punch a small hole with a hole punch. Easy way to attach it.

Next you'll need something to fish for so save the metal disc tops off of cans of frozen juice concentrate. Once you have some of these saved up children can decorate them with permanent markers, stickers, magazine pictures, or adhesive puffy shapes. If you'd like to make it into a teaching tool you could have them decorate the lids with shapes, letters of the alphabet, numbers, animals, words or some other educational theme--whatever strikes your fancy.

My kids sit on the stairs, chuck a handful of the lids onto the floor, then pretend they're fishing by catching lids with the magnet on the end of the pole's string--you could expand it into a game where they have to catch certain letters or shapes, maybe some that are listed on a piece of paper. Get creative with it!



Technorati tags:

29 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great - off to look for a magnet. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot for the idea!
I'm babysitting my 4 year old cousin this weekend and I think this can be a great game for the both of us!
Thanks again!

jennwa said...

We do at game like that is very similar. And it my kids love it.

Tara said...

Great idea!!! I'll have to get frozen juice next time I'm at the store. Thank you!

Amber M. said...

What a fun idea. Sam needs to get his "fishing arm" in shape for this summer...this will work nicely!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea! I'm going to have to go buy magnets now. :)

Joyful Days said...

That looks like fun!

Chrisbookarama said...

Great idea! We always have that kind of juice. I think I've run out of ideas myself.

Unknown said...

That is an awesome project and excellent for a homeschooler learning numbers, shapes, the alphabet...as a homeschooler I know, I did things like that.
Think my teens would give me funny looks if I did their vocab that way?????

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I absolutely love this idea. And since it's supposed to be colder than outer space here for the next 10 days or so, I might have to buy some juice concentrate from Sam's to get going.

Thanks for sharing your brilliance, Michelle.

Phyllis Sommer said...

i love this! i used to save my juice lids to play with and i stopped but now i'll have to start again. thanks!!!

Melissa Markham said...

This looks like loads of fun...hey, maybe you can attach some metal to the whale bone too:) Now that would be fun to fish for!

Jenn said...

That is SUCH a great idea. I'm going to have to start keeping the juice lids now. What a wonderful thing to keep busy with during the cold winter months. Thanks!

Carina said...

Ooh, ooh, I know.

For the boys you could draw different types of fish, some worth more points than others, and then see who can catch the "best" fish.

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

What a cute idea. Just today I was trying to think of something besides the Wii to entertain my kids! :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

My kids would love this, especially my son right now. I better start saving "fish."

Unknown said...

You come up with the coolest games!! Thanks for sharing them. :)

Heffalump said...

We do indoor camping every January where we set up a tent inside and turn off the lights and technology and just spend time together doing camping type things.
One of the things we do is fishing for paper fish that we make and put a paperclip on so that our magnet fishing poles can pick them up. Sometimes we will even to a baggie of snacks (swedish fish or goldfish crackers) attached to the paper fish with the paperclip, and we have the boys fish over the back of the couch so they can't see the fish, but can feel the weight when they catch something.

Anonymous said...

My children are grown now, but I'm keeping all your ideas for my little grandson :)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

GREAT idea!

Hoping to get a little winter craft done to post next week :)

Wendy said...

Great, great!! We homeschool and the weather is too cold now to go outside...

Maria said...

Thanks for the idea! My kids would love it!

The Estrogen Files said...

Great idea! I'm going to work on that. Now, to start saving the juice can lids...

Anonymous said...

That is COOL. Now, to start saving lids and actually find time to make this . . . I feel like it's a good project for the long weekend.

RW said...

Great idea!!

SabineM said...

wow I am behind on your blog! This is a great idea! What a cute photo too!
I am working my way backwards on your blog! ;-)

Christine said...

What great suggestions! That fishing game sounds like a lot of fun for my boys...

Anonymous said...

What a good idea! I think i'll try it out.

Alaskan Fishing Dude said...

Great Idea, I will do this with my 2 year old son.