Sunday, January 27, 2008

Maple Glazed Squash

Maple Glazed SquashWinter squash is still going strong and my favorite of the bunch is butternut. It's smooth, not stringy, and lends itself well to sweetness and spice. If you're going to eat vegetables you might as well get some treat in there somewhere.

This is really an easy way to prepare a healthy side dish. Love that beta carotene!

One butternut squash
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
dash of salt
dash of freshly ground pepper

Slice the butternut squash lengthwise (this can be tricky, they're hard to cut but the smaller the squash the easier it will be). You can bake the two halves like that or you can also slice it crosswise so that you have pretty little rounds of squash--you decide. But however you slice it, scrape out the seeds and bake it at 425 for 35 minutes or until you can stick it with a fork and it will be soft, like a baked potato.

Meanwhile, bring the maple syrup and butter to a boil then brush or drizzle the squash with the mixture before the last ten minutes of baking. Nothing to it and it's really tasty.

***

And thanks Carinne for this gem of a video. Are you a Princess Bride fan? Well you've got to see this. Funniest thing I've seen all week (regardless of your politics).



Technorati tags:

20 comments:

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

That video is SO funny! I love The Princess Bride.

Melissa said...

hah a haa! You guys find the best things!!!!!

Tricia said...

that was great. thanks for the laugh.

Unknown said...

Hilarious video!

Butternut squash is one of my favorite ~ we had a garden FULL of them this past summer/fall . . .

Oh, I feel the sting of winter and can't wait to get outside in the dirt. Spring can't come fast enough for me!

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

OMG! That is hilarious! (That's my favorite scene from the movie.)

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds SO yummy...And VERY easy! Thanks for sharing!
sblilly14(@)yahoo(.)com

Ice Cream said...

I LoVE butternut squash and happen to be using one for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe idea.

Amy said...

Your picture is beautiful! Thanks for the recipe idea!

MommyTime said...

The recipe looks lovely, and I'm sure we'll try it soon (though I may have already decided to have nothing but cheesecake for dinner, thanks to Smitten Kitchen's latest post...no offense:)

The video cracks me up.

Montserrat said...

That video was FUNNY! And I love butternut squash.

Shannon said...

Love the video! Super yummy looking squash! I am definitely going to give it a try.

9milemom said...

Ok, I snowblowed the driveway twice, shoveled the back deck 4 times...and still there is snow everywhere! We've had at least 16 inches of snow, could be as much as 18" in the last 24 hours!

Watching that You Tube video was just what I needed! How to make one of my all time favorite movies even better!!! Thanks for sharing.

How do you put those into your blog? Ohh, I see you deleted a comment...did you get a mean person? Some people take life too seriously!

Scribbit said...

Yup, someone said something that wasn't very nice. I have no problem with disagreement and have no fear of another opinion but I also believe that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

As for embedding video, You Tube provides the code to embed videos for each video they post.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Scribbit,
Thanks for the recipe of squash with maple syrup. The video is really funny and hilarious. You really made my day. Thank for the wonderful post. God bless you and your family always.

Amber M. said...

I've been sharing that video with everyone I know. I thought Tony was going to have his milk come out of his nose he laughed so hard. My kids have been running around the house saying, "Huckabee! Huckabee! Huckabee! I'm not listening...!"

Lore said...

Thanks Scribbit! This sounds doable, even if I'm not the best dessert cook around :(

Ter said...

What a coincidence...

I have a butternut squash to cook up this week... I havea few recipes that I use for it but I wanted to try something new...

and lo and behold, you have yet another recipe for me to try! (btw, I tried your spinach one the other day, but I've not posted about it yet, simply because I'm behind on my menu planning for this week, but I will post it soon and let you know!)

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Hilarious! Can't wait to show my husband.

Anonymous said...

Your butter nut squash are butternut pumpkins here in Australia. We usually only mash or bake them - luscious treats ahead after discovering their northern hemisphere identity. Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

That's odd my previous comment showed as anonymous ... not ;~)