Sunday, March 09, 2008

Balloon Buns

Balloon Buns or Tomb BunsWe've made this treat for years and years--my mom made them when we were kids--and we always called them Balloon Buns. Someone informed me that they're also called Tomb Buns and are a traditional Easter treat because the empty center symbolizes the empty Easter tomb and therefore the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So Balloon Buns/Tomb Buns whatever, it really doesn't matter because they're fun to make and delicious to eat.

For the dough:
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon fast acting yeast

Mix the dough as you would any other bread dough--either in a bread machine or by traditional hand methods. You could even use Rhoades frozen rolls in a pinch (thawed of course). But once you have the dough you separate it into 18 equal pieces and roll each slightly into a round of dough.

For the rest of the recipe you'll need:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
18 marshmallows

Mix the sugar and cinnamon together. Dip one marshmallow in the melted butter, covering it completely, then roll it in the sugar and cinnamon mix. Take one of the rounds of dough and wrap it around the marshmallow, sealing it carefully. This is tricky with the greasy butter but if it doesn't seal the marshmallow will leak out during the baking.

Once they're sealed, dip the tops in melted butter (I didn't promise these were good for you did I?) then in another dip of cinnamon and sugar. Place them in greased muffin tins (not lined with papers, that will just make a mess) and bake them for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until lightly browned. The marshmallow melts, leaving a cave of sugary-cinnamony-melted goodness inside, hence the name "Balloon Buns."

Eat while warm with a cool glass of milk.

Technorati tags:

25 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

These sound scrumptious.

Megan Cobb said...

I have a certain weakness for things wrapped in dough right now. I want to make these really badly but I KNOW I'd eat every last one of them while the family looked on in amazement. YUMMO.

Jolene said...

We called them resurrection rolls when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

I can not wait to try these!

My Everythings said...

My mouth is watering just reading this. yum... can't wait to buy the ingredients.

Melissa Markham said...

These look wonderful!

Beck said...

Oh, yummy.

Ginny said...

These look really good, thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Wow! Those sound really delicious. It would be a great baking project to get my 3-year-old in on... maybe not! Too messy. But still yummy!

Ice Cream said...

Great, now I can't decide whether to make these or the hollow merengue cookies I was planning on for Easter. Thanks a lot =)

They sound delish!

zakkalife said...

If I get the chance, I'm definitely going to make these for Easter. I tagged this on delicious so I wont forget.

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

Stephanie will make these, that's for sure.

Shannon said...

This sounds wonderful! I am going to have to give it a go!

AlaneM said...

I am SO making these - yum!

Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

I think we'll make these when the grandparents come to visit. Do you use regular or mini marshmallows?

Thanks for sharing!

miriama said...

Printed this off for Easter dinner! Thanks!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What a playful name and interesting symbolism. So many Easter foods are symbolic aren't they? I'd love to try these buns any time of the year, Michelle.

Scribbit said...

Large marshmallows--though I've always thought that mixing little ones in with a loaf of broad dough would make it mighty tasty . . .

luckyzmom said...

Yum!

SAH in Suburbia said...

Tried these - they were great!! Fun to make too.

Amy from Occupation: Mommy said...

I made these this morning. They were delicious and a big hit with my girls (and hubby)! Thanks!

Richelle said...

I had heard of these before and wanted to try them. We made them yesterday and they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I learned how to make these in my cooking class in 7th grade. I've loved them ever since.

lfhpueblo said...

Yum, I got to make these. I'll have to buy some cinnamon first, we're out.

Anonymous said...

We call these Resurrection Rolls!