Sunday, March 30, 2008

Coconut Rice Pudding

Coconut Rice PuddingRegular rice pudding is fine I guess but I've never liked it much. To me it tastes rather bland but this recipe I liked, it was creamy and sweet and the coconut milk gave it flavor and body like a sweet version of my beloved risotto.

Of course I had to load on the calories with whipped cream and raisins and shredded coconut but I do believe it improved it substantially. Did you know it's a scientific fact that calories are what flavor food?

1 14-ounce can evaporated milk
1 15-ounce can coconut milk
2 cups low fat milk
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
flaked coconut for garnish
whipped cream for topping

In a medium saucepan combine the three kinds of milk, rice, sugar, salt and extract. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring regularly, for 30 minutes or until the rice is nearly tender. Stir in the raisins and continue to cook until the rice is done, maybe 10 more minutes then serve with coconut and whipped cream on top. A great breakfast for cold days.

Technorati tags:

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh! this looks tasty (and easily veganized with soy milk!)

i'm making a vegan version of your curried orzo salad tomorrow, i'll post pics!

Tori Leslie said...

Hmmm, this looks so delish!!
I coconut!!
Defiantly a keeper, thanks!

Edi said...

I love any kind of rice pudding. I could eat a whole batch all by myself - which is possible being that no one else in the family is too crazy about it.

Kristen M. said...

Yummy looking. My Puerto Rican friend makes a similar dish and it is amazing. Thanks for making me hungry for dessert!

Anonymous said...

OK - it's gluten free and I have a stack of coconuts from our palm tree waiting to be used. You rule!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

This looks incredibly delicious... take care...

Kristine said...

Quick question - I'm used to making rice pudding with leftover rice. Is this uncooked rice in your recipe? Thanks!! looks delicious!

Scribbit said...

Kristin--I suppose you could, the rice may not absorb the flavor of the coconut quite the same but you could try and see.

You'd need to cut the liquid down quite a bit, maybe cut the 2 cups milk out as it won't be absorbing liquid like uncooked rice would. I'd be curious about your experiments with it.

Irene said...

That looks great.

Did you see the recent article that coconut milk is one of the healthiest things you can eat!? Great timing!

Melissa Markham said...

Another yummy recipe from the home of Scribbit. My mouth thanks you!

L said...

Oh boy that looks delicious!

Kayris said...

Will substituting light coconut milk change the texture at all? Coconut milk is loaded with saturated fat. My grocery store sells the light version.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Michelle... I think this one will be easy to convert to GFCF for my little one and might be just the thing to entice her to eat something. :)

all over the map said...

oh yummy! going to make that one soon. i've been enjoying a few of your recipes so thanks. this one is easy and easy is good in my book.

Mrs.French said...

ooo yummy! thank you for the recipe!