Monday, March 03, 2008

March's Write-Away Contest

An Alaskan UluWhew! Eighteen hours of travel and we're in Florida. Sorry this is late today, I've got a fabulous guest post lined up for tomorrow that you won't want to miss. Love this free wi-fi!

***

Happy March everyone--spring is just around the corner. Kind of. At least that's what they tell me. This month's topic really has nothing to do with anything but it just kind of came to me and I thought that it would work. Curious? The topic is "The next twenty years." Kind of different, huh? You can take it from various angles and I'm looking forward to what you'll come up with.

If you'd like to participate (and I'm hoping you do!) here are the rules:

1. Write a post or find one in your archives on the topic, "The next twenty years," and email your post's permalink to me at: scribbit at gmail.com any time through Wednesday March 19th. If you fail to meet the March 19th deadline I will still happily publish the link to your post and include it in the list of entries but it will not be judged. I reserve the right to reject submissions if they fail to meet the topic or if they contain objectionable content.

2. Publish a link to the contest page here at Scribbit in either your entry post or in a separate post.

3. Check back here on Friday March 21st when I will post a complete list of the entries along with the Write-Away Winner and any honorable mentions our judge sees fit to award.

Our guest judge this month is Melissa from Woolgatherings if you haven't met Melissa yet I look forward to introducing you to her later this month, I've enjoyed her blog for over a year now.

This month's prize is an Alaskan ulu which is a Native cutting tool used for all sorts of things: skinning beavers, slicing muktuk, filleting salmon--but if you're running short of beavers or whale blubber it's also popular as an all-around chopping tool in the kitchen. If you don't have one of these yet you'll love it.

But besides this the winner and all runners-up or honorable mentions (I leave that up to the judge to award them) will also get to take home this attractive Write-Away Winner button which he or she may display in their sidebar if they wish.

Write-Away Contest WinnerGood luck, I look forward to reading your entries.

Technorati tags:

20 comments:

Shelli said...

This is a great topic. I'm stumped at the moment.

Robin said...

What a great topic, I've just read it and already I've got a ton of ideas running through my head. Plus, I REALLY want that ulu LOL.

Melissa's a great writer, I know she'll be a terrific judge as well.

Chrisbookarama said...

Michelle- This was so wide open. My contribution takes a awhile to get through and you might wonder where I'm going with it but I do have a point ;)

Theresa said...

Tee Hee. Could you be thinking of a looming reunion? I've been obsessed since my twentieth last year. Love this idea. Maybe I'll get my act together in time. Happy vacation! We just missed each other on the East Coast, although I was much further north and wishing I were in Florida.

Anonymous said...

Oh My! How exciting! I have not written in a long while and have been wanting to start once more. This is the perfect opportunity!

Thanks for visiting our blog and come back often.

As for George's success- He is now completly "house broken" Thanks for asking. :D

Carrie said...

Thanks for hosting this. What a great idea! I emailed you my post. Hope you got it!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Turns out I recently read, "Julie of the Wolves". The young girl uses an Ulu, practically saved her life. I've written my post...and I'm, uh, editing (obsessing) over it.

Jennifer said...

I am working on my post... can't wait to share it, just need to work out some details.

I've been to Alaska and actually have an ulu. We bought it in Ketchikan. Many people don't know it, but we went snorkeling while we were in Alaska! Brrr....

Anonymous said...

I was going to hold off on this one but that ulu looks really cool.

I have finished a particularly thoughtful post, as only a topic like that could inspire, but I am going to let it sit overnight to ferment and to make sure it sounds right before posting tomorrow. I will send you the link then.

Thanks for the fun!

Lesley said...

I just found your blog. I love to write, so I hope to send you something on this topic. Have a great day. :)

Lesley
www.pillowcasetalk.blogspot.com
www.pillowcasegram.com

Tara said...

Welcome to my neck of the "Sun"...Florida. Hope you enjoyed it here. I just found your blog and I LOVE IT. I love to write and I'm so excited to participate...off to writing!

Angel The Alien said...

OK, I wrote my post for your contest! Its at http://adhdangel.blogspot.com/2008/03/next-twenty-years.html . What a cool idea!

Lilibeth said...

I wasn't going to write anything for this one; but yesterday I came to school and found out that Breawna had died during the night. I didn't know her well, just from academic team competitions and occasionally seeing her around town. But we talked sometimes, and I couldn't get this prompt out of my head when I thought about her, so here it is.

Lilibeth said...

Oops. I forgot to leave a link.
http://keepingup-lilibeth.blogspot.com/2008/03/next-twenty-years.html

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I love the challenge of thinking of your topics! So sorry I missed the last one...loved the winner! Did she win the perfect post you were going to nominate her for?

OK - my link for March:
http://notbefore7.blogspot.com/2008/03/consistency-in-life-of-change.html

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

What an exciting topic! My entry is here. I'll email you as well. Thank you for hosting!

Anonymous said...

Just in case my email ends up in your spam box, here is my link:

http://summersnook.com/2008/03/17/forty-six/

Jennifer said...

After working and re-working my idea several times I finally got my post where I wanted it - pubished on my blog!

I had such a good time thinking about the next 20 years. I hope you enjoy my submission. Here it is.

Ice Cream said...

Late as always, but it wasn't until I read the reminder this morning that something FINALLY popped in my head. I'm sure it has many many grammatical errors and is riddled with bad English but I'm throwing it in anyway.

*Linda Pinda* said...

Thank you for offering this challenge! I've enjoyed visiting here and the other entrants' blogs as well.

I sent an email, but just in case, it's lost in cyber space somewhere, here is a link to my blog entry on "The Next Tweny Years"

http://lindapindadesigns.blogspot.com/2008/03/next-twenty-years.html

Blessings... *Linda*