Friday, May 02, 2008

Felt Critters and a Little Conformity

Felt HairclipsLillian's kindergarten teacher is pretty amazing. It's only a half-day program but she holds regular Drama Club and Science Club activities on her lunch hour.

She even makes certificates up for the children when they complete various units in school--units on whales, dinosaurs, space, whales, etc.--which say, "I'm a penguin expert" or something equally cute and then she makes up these little critters to staple to the certificates.

It finally dawned on me what to do with them all--I bought hair clips and glued them to the back of the felt so Lillian can wear them in her hair.

They're just adorable as hair clips and I think I scored points with Mrs. Nishimura for my creativity--I'm hoping it will be the extra credit I need to pull off an A in her class.

David, however, scored very few points this past week with his third grade teacher who relayed some information about my son to me. Mrs. Murray said that the class was taking a test and after they were done the students were to set their pencils on their desks so she could see they were finished. David set his pencil down but the girl next to him kept playing with hers.

Mrs. Murray noticed the girl's nonconformity and was about to cross the room to reprimand her for not following directions. David saw what was going down and whispered urgently to his friend that she better put her pencil down right quick. The girl shrugged and said, "But why?" David again encouraged her but the girl still didn't see the need to obey.

By this time Mrs. Murray was practically on top of them so she caught enough of what was going on through the whispering. "Why do I have to put my pencil down?" the little girl insisted.

"I don't know--just play their game!" David hissed back.

That's right son, just play the game. That's my little conformist . . . I'm not sure whether I'm pleased with his obedience or worried that he's much smarter than I thought and is playing us all. Apparently he's all over the system and knows just how to work it.

***

Edited to add: If you're new to Scribbit you can get an idea of the publishing schedule I follow by scrolling down through this week's posts. I also have an "About" page on my sidebar under my profile that might be helpful.

Each Saturday I host a product review and random giveaway that runs through the weekend and tomorrow I've got some good stuff to give out . . . you'll want to get your name into the pot for this one I promise.

Technorati tags:

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

O the picture.. SO damn cute!!
i wan 1!!!

MRMacrum said...

Catching my goodie two shoes daughter "work the system" in grade school created conflicted feelings in me also. I knew right then she was going to be much more intelligent and able to fit in than I was. I was proud of her but a little miffed also. She had down by the age of 8 or 9 what took me the first 28 years of my life to figure out.

Jennifer said...

That is hilarious! Has he been watching Animal Farm? :)

BTW, I think that first comment up there is spam (the one by vic_tor).

vvvv said...

wow...so cute! :)
How is it in Alaska? I live in the south east...

Anonymous said...

just play their game . . .

Oh.My.Word!!

My kids would be the ones playing with their pencils and asking, "but why?" Just for once in their short little lives, I wish they would conform!

John Painz said...

What a great first post to read on a new blog. Wow. Love the picture, the teacher sounds AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

Your little boy is something! How intelligent! That would impress me.

K.C. said...

New to your blog. LOVE IT! Do something similar with things sent home from teachers. I glue them to strip magnets and place them on fridge. Your idea is better though. Great idea! Great blog! Thanks for sharing! KC

Anonymous said...

That's too funny! David is kind and savvy enough to humor us adults in our little game, and good enough to clue the others in. Love it! And the hair clips....I am taking notes. We have a two-week arts camp coming up this summer and all I can think of is, "INCOMING!!!" So any and all useful ideas are appreciated!

LiteralDan said...

I wish I was so wise to the world's games at that age-- I think he'll do fine in life!

Lisa said...

I love that he was looking out for the girl and trying to keep her out of trouble!

Anonymous said...

Your little boy will go far, he knows which side his bread is buttered!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michelle! My brother called this morning to tell me Scribbit is a "Blog of Note" on Blogger. Very Cool!

Scribbit said...

Well thanks Bobbie--I'm flattered that it would warrant a phone call :) You make me blush!

Bertie said...

Great story about your little boy! What a smart kid!:)

And- what a creative idea with the felt animals! Sooo cute! I would have never come up with that... that is why I love creative people- so I can get ideas from people like you:)

Kelly said...

Very cute little felt animals! And it sounds like your boy just knows the way it (unfortunately!) works!

Lori said...

LMFAO this is too damn funny!!!!!! I think your blog is right up my alley. When I have a bit more time I am going to read through it more!
Your son...smart as a whip he is...next he'll be saying, "I hate the system!" lol

Lori said...

P.S. How do I get my 'name in the pot'?? lol Just by showing up tomorrow or what?

Anonymous said...

"I don't know--just play their game!"

Hey, he KNOWS it's a game! Now when he can learn to fake sincerity....... nevermind,
you have nothing to worry about!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I wouldn't know what to do with that information! Did you talk to him about it??

Anonymous said...

What a very smart boy...Sometimes in school you do need to know how to play the game. He is not a conformist by any means. He is a realist. He will be the type of person of will work the system and change it for the better. You can't possibly be the life of the party if you are on the outside looking in, right?

Your daughter's K teacher is a prime example of why I believe K-3 teacher's should be paid the highest salary. I wouldn't last a single minute in K classroom.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this was revealing and interesting and funny.

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Hi,

New to your blog via blogs of note, and absolutely loved it. My elder daughter is the rules-loving one, while the younger is the rebel.

By the way, I'm from far off India, but can I join in the monthly write-in competitions? They sound like fun.

Maude Lynn said...

The hair clips are so cute! What a great idea!

Theresa said...

Oh, so funny. And insightful. I don't think you need to worry about him.

Melanie said...

Mrs. Nishimura was my Kindergarten teachers 19 years ago, and I remember getting little felt awards too. I don't remember the penguins, but I do remember a little owl--I think it was for spelling or reading. I saved them for years, but finally threw them out when I left for college.

Bunny B said...

Wow! Mrs Nishimura is creative and talented :) And your son -- always a great story to tell! :) Have a fab weekend, dear!

The Sparkling Thought.... said...

Nice to read ur post. it i a nice creation. plz visit me too plz.

Anonymous said...

Wow is your boy smart! He is something of a 'social prodigy' -- he's figured out how people and relationships work, well before most kids do.

But I have to say, I was drawn to this post by the picture. Pretty darn cute! And it looks like something fun that kids could make, too.

Fun!

Admin said...

That's a cute crafts, I'm sure the kindergarten student will loved to make that funny craft.

Stephen said...

Aw man they are so cute! AWESOME!

- Poetry Book

ames said...

Your son rocks. And so does that teacher!!

Unknown said...

Just play their game...are we really "them"...how sad?

Janet said...

Too too funny. My children will be the ones twiddling the pencils and not conforming. I was the one trying to get everyone else to behave. Although I never phrased it so eloquently.

Rhiana said...

This is so funny, and I love the idea for the felt animal hair clips.

Skippy said...

What a great idea about the felt hair clips. They are so adorable. And I wouldn't worry about your son. It seems like he has what it takes to be staggeringly successful in life-- he's smart enough to know he has to obey the rules, but brilliant in that he sees beyond conventional thinking to the limitless potential of free thinking. You've got about 5 years to brace yourself before he's a teenager and takes the world by storm! :o)

Maybe Me said...

I don't know how many times I've found myself in that same position...you're little boy is sharp.
:)