Friday, May 23, 2008

Random Links for a Random Friday

I had to pause and post a few of my favorite links I've seen lately--everything from food to crafts to interesting designs. Pause, as we officially head into summer because yesterday was the last day of school.

No, wait, I take that back. School ended about two weeks ago and the kids have done nothing (and I mean nothing) but go on field trips, have picnics, watch movies, have parties and clean out their desks since then. Rather irritating really, yesterday I asked Spencer when the last time he'd done any school work was and after a thoughtful pause he said he'd done a couple math sheets on Tuesday but that was it. But today was first day they didn't have to report to the school building. I'll just leave it at that. I won't get into a rant against the public education system. I promise.

Anyway, on with the link list . . .

If you've ever wondered what to do if a moose dies in your yard (I know you've been lying awake at night worrying about it) wonder no more, because the Anchorage Daily News has helpful info. I warn you, it ain't pretty

And moose carcasses are followed by Stuffed Artichokes from Susan at Foodblogga--you know you're not only guaranteed a great recipe but a great story too.

The MommybarFresh Approach Cooking is also on an artichoke kick with her Wild Rice and Artichoke Bake. I'm going to make this one too. Just spring it on the family when they least expect it.

There's a new widget for momblogs and those who love them--the Mommybar. It's a toolbar for your browser that you can download and use to search all sorts of sites to help you in your job as a mom. Coupons, shopping, blogs . . . it's getting some good press since its release two months ago so check it out.

I you're looking for something to do, make an Amy Butler laptop cover for your laptop--it's just what I need. Anyone want to make one for me and I'll buy it from you? I want one so badly but don't know when I'm going to have time to make it myself. Or maybe I'll just make a laptop cover with three placemats via Curbly.

Check out this link from Bakerella who makes the cutest, teeniest little cupcake wanna-bes. Adorable!

Handmade by Calista shows how to make ruffly crocheted coin purses. Lacy and practical. Stick those in your Etsy shop and sell it!

If you were with me a year ago when I raved and sighed over my new induction cooktop by Diva then you'll understand how desperately I'd like to have a Turbo Chef oven. Fifteen times faster than the typical appliance, it's like an oven with Warp Drive. I'm dying to take one of those babies for a test drive.

Craftzine has a fabulous summer craft for you or for the kids--pressed nature prints in Sculpey clay. Why didn't I think of this?

Molla Space has this printed felt vase cover that allows you to turn an old bottle into a simple vase--you'll have to click through to get it--they're pricey but I could make one for myself. Or get the kids to make it, they'd have a blast stamping felt.

Sonja Style has a map purse that's completely fun. It looks like fabric but no, it's a map and clear Contact paper.

Remember Enzie Shamiri, the artist who is painting my daughter's portrait? The painting is coming along so beautifully, you really should check out the progress at World Market Portraits.

Technorati tags:

22 comments:

Kristen M. said...

The moose link had my husband and I cracking up this morning. He spent last night watching an Alaskan survival show so somehow it all relates.

Anonymous said...

Laughing about "school..." we are going through that here as well. My son comes home with one or two worksheets a day and reported that yesterday, they spent the morning watching a book on video and the afternoon on the playground. We are doing more workbooks at home to pick up the slack! Love the moose link, too.

Anonymous said...

Hey- Have you done a post on OCD behaviors, especially in kids? I would love to link to it in today's post about OCD. I know you always have well-researched posts and thought you might have done something. Oprah is highlighting the OCD camps this week where people try to overcome their obsessions in the opposite environment to what they are used to.

Have a good weekend.

Allysha said...

I'm gonna suggest that next time you list the food links before the dead moose link! You know. Just saying...
;) !

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

I love the map purse.

Scribbit said...

Nope, I haven't done anything with OCD actually. Though that certainly would be an interesting topic--I wonder if anyone commenting has experience with it?

Amy said...

Great link round-up!!

Janet said...

I was hoping the moose thing would be more helpful. I'm not looking forward to the day our 140-pound Rottweiller lies down for the last time.
The portrait is indeed beautiful.

Anonymous said...

OH, I do need to get that laptop cover pattern and make it. If I do, I'll let you know. We won't talk about how miraculous it is that my macbook didn't die when I dumped juice in it (yes me, not my toddlers!).

Knit Geek said...

My kids would be so jealous if I shared your kids' schedule! We have 2 weeks of school left. My sone just finished phase 2 state testing (science and social studies) and my daughter is studing for finals.

And I love the idea of a laptop case made out of placemats. I've been making placemat purses for years and never thought of expanding into laptop cases. I am so totally gonna have a laptop case to match every purse from now on!

Jennifer said...

As a middle school teacher, I can honestly say that one of the reasons we slow down so much the last 2 weeks of school is because of student motivation. I fight motivation all year long and by the time we get to the end it is extremely difficult to get the students to focus on ANYTHIG.

I don't assign any homework to my leveled classes because it won't get done (we don't have particularly awesome parents where I live) and this hurts the grades of borderline students. I can give assignments to my advanced students though.

I'd say, until you've had the experience of trying to wrangle 25+ kids into doing something, anything academic requiring focus during the last 2 weeks of school, tread lightly with your opinion of those teachers.

Not all parents are as awesome as you!

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Wow - what great links! I'll definitely be taking another look at the laptop cases, because I seem to be obsessed with protecting my fairly new Dell. Protecting or prettifying; I'm not sure which.

Theresa said...

There was a moose carcass along the trail where I used to run a few years ago. That got seriously stinky, so the removal tips are Good To Know. Happy Summer Vacation!

Damselfly said...

...and you must also lie awake at night wondering what would happen if an alligator died in your yard.

If an alligator died in my yard, I would return to some of these links you've provided because maybe I would find a project for turning the gator skin into some cute purses and sell them on Etsy.

Damselfly said...

Finders keepers, after all....

Anonymous said...

Hi! I recently found your blog, and I'm enjoying reading it!
Your daughter's portrait is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

that mommybar is pretty useful; thanks for the heads up.

-diane

Shannon said...

Okay. Seriously- I had never heard of Bakerella before and can I just say 'thanks' for the link!? Those little cupcakes bites looks amazing!

Also, read your movie post and there were a few on there I don't think I knew about. But, I'm with you on the next Bond movie. . . I will be going to see that when it comes out- even if I have to wait till November.

Fun posts. . . thanks ( :

Anonymous said...

Very good links provided indeed..Will check out soon when possible..

Unknown said...

Oh, the dreaded last day of school...still a week away for us.My kids have also done nothing at school for the last week and a half or so,except for movies,field trips,and play play play.They are getting antsy for school to be out.Me, I am hoping my mother in law fills up her pool PRONTO.Or I will go crazy with the "I'm bored...what can I do...I'm bored..."
I love bakerella! Everyone needs to check her out!!!
I have OCD.If you want an insiders view on it let me know!
I love your blog!

Stephanie said...

How cool that you get to see your daughter's portrait "in progress"! It looks wonderful so far...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me in your link list. I have been super busy painting and will post an update on Lilly next week.

xoxo


Enzie At World Market Portraits