Sunday, May 25, 2008

World's Best Lemon Bars

World's Best Lemon BarsI've always loved lemon bars, my Mom made them all the time, but I've never been completely satisfied with the recipes I've tried over the years.

Some are too soft where they don't cut properly, some have too much crust, some are too curdly, you just wouldn't think that a simple thing like a lemon bar could cause so much trouble to create.

Well I found Angry Chicken's endorsement for Epicurious' lemon shortbread bar recipe. They, in turn, got it from Seattle's famous 60th Street Desserts so it's got quite a trail but you'll thank me for it because it truly is, as Amy said, the best lemon bar recipe there is.

For crust:
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large egg yolks

For Lemon Filling:
6 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel

For Streusel Topping:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

For crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 13x9x2-inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray. Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor to combine. Cut in butter, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolks and blend until moist clumps form. Press mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until just beginning to turn golden brown around edges, about 10 minutes. Remove crust from oven; reduce temperature to 325°F.

Meanwhile, prepare lemon filling: Whisk eggs and sugar in large bowl to blend. Whisk flour and baking powder in medium bowl to blend. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, whisking to blend. Whisk in lemon juice and peel. Immediately pour lemon filling over hot crust; bake until filling is set, about 30 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

For streusel: Blend flour, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in processor to combine. Cut in butter, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Sprinkle topping over hot lemon bars; continue to bake until just golden, about 25 minutes longer. Cool completely. Sprinkle powdered sugar over. Cut into bars. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Technorati tags:

21 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

I have used this particular recipe quite often and I love it. I use a shortbread for all my lemon bar crusts and this particular recipe is lovely.

My only modification on this one is that I often like to chop up some pecans and add to the shortbread (Pecan sandies anyone?) and I also tinker with the lemon filling.I am a huge fan of filling in lemon bars so I always double the amounts called for it, no matter what recipe I'm using.

calicobebop said...

Mmmm, I love lemon bars too! I'll have to give this recipe a try - nothing says "summer" like lemon bars!

Laura said...

Yum. I WILL be trying these!! Everything from seattle is great though (but I'm not biased). :)

The Dunns said...

Yum! I love "good" lemon bars. One of my all time favorite desserts. Thanks!

Kelli said...

I like this recipe already...it makes nearly twice as much as the recipe I have. More lemon to love!

Daisy said...

I have a lemon bar recipe somewhere in my archives. They're simple, but yummy.

miriama said...

Okay, I printed it off and will be making it tomorrow for our barbecue. And if I eat half a pan and gain ten pounds it is your fault!!! ;)

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Thanks from another lemon bar lover! I can't wait to try these.

Mars said...

MOMMY I need a special recipe for my blog. Could you help me?

Anonymous said...

My son lives for lemon bars, root beer and video games. I imagine if a girl wants him to marry her someday all she has to do is provide those three and my son will never leave.

Lei said...

Wow, shortbread for the crust... delicious! I LOVE all things lemon. I'm happy to add this one to my recipe box!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Did you know that lemon bars are like my favorite thing? Instead of a birthday cake this year I had my mom just make me a big stack of lemon bars... mmm...

Steph

Kate said...

HOLYSTINKIN YUMMMM!! :D They sound divine...can't wait to try them out! Thanks!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Yummy! Feel free to send over a few to Maryland next time you make a batch!

Flea said...

Mmmmm. I haven't ahd lemon bars in about a million years (yes, I really am that old). They were my favorite to make as a kid. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Sonja said...

ooh la la! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I, too, have been disappointed with other lemon bar recipes and am eager to try this one!

Ice Cream said...

We are lemonbar lovers here, so we will be trying this very soon, very soon indeed. =)

Stephanie said...

Mmmm...those look delicious! My mouth is watering!

Anonymous said...

The photo made me pucker. I'm long overdue for making some lemon bars! Glad I saw this reminder.

Just Spotted said...

yum! i can't wait to try them out!

Melissa Markham said...

This recipe looks delicious! My hubby and two of my sons love lemon! Thanks for sharing.