Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I've Been Waiting So Long for This Day

Mismatched SocksShe says it's the way kids are wearing their socks now--in fact she was complimented on this very combination by a friend who said it was (and I quote) "Very cool." I say it's brilliant.

I'll never have to worry about orphaned socks again--that pile of mystery socks in my laundry room is now haute couteur. Break out the champagne and move over Vera Wang!

***
And here are a couple other things I've wanted to mention:
  • If you remember the TasteBook giveaway I did a week ago I said that I'd be making my own Scribbit TasteBook available soon. Well it's here, I've got my own little button on the sidebar which takes you to this page at TasteBook where you can buy a hardbound copy of 100 Scribbit recipes for $34.95. I think I might have to pick up my own copy--it could be the closest thing I ever get to having my own book published.

  • Also, if you'll notice farther up on my sidebar I have a graphic button where you can enter to win a Caribbean Cruise for two complete with airfare to Miami (or forget looking for a babysitter, just take the cash and run). It's being hosted by Stephanie of Metropolitan Mama and Protect-a-Bed and besides the cruise there are other monthly prizes to be had. Deadline for entering is September 1st, but what's to lose? The entry page is here, go and give it a whack and see if you get lucky. Protect-a-Bed is sending me some of their products for review and I'll be taking a look at them next month then giving some away to you good folks.

  • If you're looking for a last minute Father's Day gift I would venture to suggest that if your Dad is into sports he'd probably like a photo from Gold Medal Impressions, limited edition photographs by sports photographer Dick Drukman. My boys spent a good half-hour yesterday looking through the photos on his site, comparing stats on the players and longing for the pictures. I'm not into sports at all but even a cretin such as I can appreciate a picture of Patrik Elias levitating above the ice as he swipes the puck into the net. Really an amazing shot.

  • I get questions periodically about blog design--if you're using the Blogger platform (as I am) and wonder what kind of designs are available out there then pay a visit to Blogger Buster who lists her 50 favorite Blogger blog designs. It will get your creative juices flowing and will give you a glimpse of where you could take your own blog canvas.

  • Skip to My Lou has a summer reading program going where children can improve their minds and help those in need. It's worth checking out!

  • Chocolate on My Cranium and My Spare Time both have fun aprons to make--a good summer project I've got bookmarked.

  • Shelterrific has a good round up of summer links for your viewing pleasure.

  • FamilyEducation.com has a list of rainy day toddler activities if you happen to have rain. And toddlers.
***

Congratulations to Becky (please please check your email--I haven't heard back from you yet!) for winning the Calisto Pro Series Home Phone System from Plantronics, that's one sweet phone system. Even my Dad sneaked in an entry then lightly chastised me for giving away such a great prize---because that's going to give him an edge in the drawing, right? So sorry Dad.

Technorati tags:

31 comments:

United Studies said...

And here I was thinking that an engineer I used to work with was weird for coming to work in two different shoes. Perhaps he was on to something....

MRMacrum said...

The sock fad is here also. Does not take long for something to spread across continents now. Disease, ideas, and wearing mis-matched socks. The 21st century is a fast one if nothing else.

As a typical out of touch old guy, I made a comment about the socks one youngster was sporting when she came in my shop with her mother. Something to the effect of "Like your socks."

She immediately rolled her eyes in aknowledgement of another adult calling her on her fashion choices. When in reality I did like her socks. Where is it written they have to match?

Anonymous said...

I was in a very cool store a few weeks ago in which I found some socks for sale by Little Miss Matched. They came only in threes so you were forced to mix and match. The color schemes were the same but different designs and such. They were very cute.

I guess deliberately being mismatched is the in thing.

Amy said...

I wonder if that will be cool in Indiana? I sure hope so :)

Great list of links too- thank you!

Kelli said...

I hope that fashion trend makes it all the way down here! Maybe I'll start putting mismatched socks together out of the dryer and see what happens....

Anonymous said...

I'm currently making my Tastebook! I guess great minds think alike:)

Janet said...

A friend of ours has been deliberately wearing mismatched socks for about 15 years now. He goes and buys *women's* socks in all different colors and just pulls out two at random every day. When asked whether he would wear them if he pulled out two that actually matched, he paused, and then said no. We were in his wedding, and he bought two pairs of dress socks, one grey patterned, one black patterned. His father wore the other "pair."

Daisy said...

I confess; my orphan socks go to school. They become white board erasers. Then I don't care if they get ruined; they were cast-offs to begin with.

Unknown said...

i may have to buy that recipe book and save my self a printer ribbon :)

Kristen M. said...

I haven't heard about the sock thing yet. Interesting.

Ice Cream said...

Oh, how I'm hoping that this fad will come to our school, and that my daughter will cave to the peer pressure!!! =)

Thanks for the great links.

Tammy and Parker said...

Sweet Links!

Damselfly said...

Hey, everyone, let's all run around with our pockets inside out!

:)

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Thanks for the great links! I definitely have a few socks I can send your way to help with the new fashion trend.

Anonymous said...

I love the sock thing - and now it explains something. My daughter has ascool uniform but they can wear blue or white socks. Last week she switched one colour with her friend and they both went home with odd socks!

calicobebop said...

Really? Mis-matched socks are en vogue? A dream come true!!!

ewe are here said...

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Because I'm always losing those dratted little socks my boys wear...

ewe are here said...

Brilliant. Just brilliant. Because I'm always losing those dratted little socks my boys wear...

Anonymous said...

Love the sock story! I need to inform my husband asap! He is always complaining about missing socks!

Michelle I still need your address so that I can mail you the print you have won!

Ryan said...

The sock thing is great news. Next time one of the guys at work is like, "Hey, you big dork, your socks don't match! hahahaha!" I'll simply say, "Hey man, it's the new fad." And then I'll be like, "Wait a second! How can you see my socks!?" And I'll finally realize I forgot my shoes....

Loralee Choate said...

I find the fact that this fashion fad seems to have alluded Utah totally and completely unfair.

(Back to sorting socks.)

Kelly @ Love Well said...

LOVE the socks. That's hysterical. Teenagers are the greatest.

Derick and Becky said...

What Becky won? I can't remember if I registered for this one or not and my husband has been checking my email! you can email me back at pulhamfamily@gmail.com if it was me!

RunninL8 said...

LIBERATION!!!!!!!!
It's about time!!!!!
HA, HA, HA you STUPID sock gremlins!!!! How do ya like THEM apples!!!!!
Let's pray it lasts.
Less domestic stress and exasperation overides looking dim.

~ej said...

the odd socks has been a thing around here for a while. i find the whole thing amusing. and mine wear mismatched socks cos they just don't care ;-)
and the girls who share crocs was a fashion last year...

FallFleur said...

My daughter has been wearing mis-matched socks for a couple of years, beginning at the time I made her responsible for folding her own laundry. She usually has a basket of laundry wating to be folded in her room. She'll simply pull out the first two socks she finds. They seldom ever match. I tried calling her Punky Brewster, but she had no idea what I was talking about.
I never considered that her unfolded laundry could be the catalyst for a new trend.
C'est La Vie.

all over the map said...

Thanks for some good links. Always enjoy those. Especially the blogger one. There are so many helpful and great resources out there for us bloggers it's great.
Laughing at the socks. My daughter has also done this but to my dislike as we wear school uniforms here and she is suppose to wear the uniform socks as well, not her own mix/match. Urgh!

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

My daughter traded socks with her cousin so they could each have a gold and purple one for softball, but she is way too "play by the rules" to deliberately mismatch otherwise.

Thanks for the list! Can't wait to check them all out.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are AWE. SOME. !! I have exactly the same emotions as you have :) I only hope it's as trendy in Morocco.

Erin said...

One of my YW came to last night's activity wearing mismatched socks. I smiled knowingly, thanks to you (instead of thinking she was a little off.)

Susan Bearman said...

My daughter adopted mismatched socks several years ago, but (sadly) my boys have sock-itis. They all wear white socks, but have particular needs and refuse to wear each others socks. The little guy wears white socks with blue treads, the middle one wears the kind with "Hanes" across the toes and the big one wears white with grey treads. When I suggested that they just pick their socks out of the laundry basket, my son said if he wears mismatched socks he feels "uneven" inside. As a result of all this sock angst, I have a hug box of white one socks, as clearly the dryer has eaten the matches.