Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mediterranean Pesto Sausage Soup

Seems I've been on a soup kick. Is that so wrong? Soups are healthy, filling, easy to make and are usually fairly economical as well.

We eat them at least twice a week, especially in the winter and this one was a new recipe I recently came across that is Fabulous. With a capital F.

olive oil
1 pound smoked pork sausage
1 red onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 pound red lentils
28 ounces chopped tomatoes
8 cups chicken broth
½ cup fresh basil, julienned
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
4 ounces pesto

Saute the smoked pork sausage in the olive oil until broken up and browned. Add the red onion and garlic and saute until onion is tender.

Add the lentils, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender and breaking up.

Add salt, pepper and pesto and serve with julienned basil for garnish.

9 comments:

Lei said...

My mouth is watering, Michelle! Yummy!

jacjewelry said...

I love soups, especially in the winter! We usually have them almost every night (as appetizer as opposed to the main course). I will have to try this one! Thanks for sharing. If you like lentils, check out these two recipes:
http://jacjewelry.blogspot.com/2010/01/thursday-edibles-moroccan-lentil-with.html
and
http://jacjewelry.blogspot.com/2009/02/thursday-edibles-spicy-red-lentil-and.html

Daisy said...

Yum. I'm debating whether to make this in the crockpot or in my new Dutch oven.

Patricia L said...

Well, that one looks easy enough. I bet my family would love it. Mmmm.

Robin said...

This sounds fantastic! I love red onion but rarely use them other than raw salads. And pesto in soup? Brilliant! I think I will have to make this very soon as it is finally freezing here. Thanks Michelle.

table rentals said...

Looking at that bowl just made me hungry,

J said...

Oh, sounds like heaven!

Anne Olson said...

I made this last night and it is SO GOOD!

Cindy said...

THIS IS MY FAVOURITE SOUP!!!! It is soo yummy!!! We love it!!! Thank you so much for posting it! I think I could eat it every day! When I've made it for dinner I'll eat the leftovers for breakfast!