Sunday, December 19, 2010

Yak Nym

I've wondered what "yak nym" means--probably "fat from the belly of an ox" or something equally tempting.  But this stuff is much better than any ox you could get. It's a fast dinner, goes well with a side of rice and steamed vegetables, and stretches meat a long way so you eat a little less of the red stuff. And if you're like most Americans, less is better.

1 green onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sliced gingeroot
⅓ cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound thinly sliced flank steak (or other comparable cut)
bamboo skewers

Soak skewers in a bowl of water for 30 minutes while preparing meat. Mix all remaining ingredients except the beff in a bowl. Then, once sugar is dissolved, add beef and marinate 2-3 hours.

Skewer strips of beef on bamboo sticks then broil on high heat for 3-4 minutes.

Serve immediately with rice and steamed vegetables.

7 comments:

Flea said...

What? No real yak? ;)

Tammy said...

I'm wondering if you have any ideas where I'd buy some "beff"? LOL

The Library Lady said...

This is basically Korean bulgoki, which we make on a regular basis at my house, though we marinate the meat for a number of hours. Where is this recipe from?

Inkling said...

I tried a variation of your recipe tonight. I started to follow it to the letter, but the sesame oil smell was kind of killing me. (I'm weird that way.) So I changed it up a bit.

We served it with fried rice chocked full of broccoli, carrots, and zucchini, along with a homemade Japanese ginger sauce like what you can find at Japanese steakhouses. It was super yum, and came very close to being just like the $33.95 dinner I picked out when my husband's boss took us to a Japanese steak house for the company Christmas dinner. Except I probably spent about $7 for all the ingredients and got dinner for three people plus leftovers for a yummy lunch.

Thanks for the inspiration! My hubby was especially appreciative because he's been having to get dinner for us while I've been fighting pneumonia this past week. And I have to admit that home cooking is WAY better than a roast chicken from the grocery store! So thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Could you be a little more specific? There isn't an amount listed for the ginger root, and I wonder what kind of beef you'd recommend? Thanks!

inflatable jumping castles said...

Could you be a little more specific?

The Library Lady said...

If you're going to marinate this for a while, you can use chuck steak or roast, sliced thinly. The flank steak Michelle uses is much more tender and doesn't need a lot of marination. We try to do chuck for at least 12-24 hours when we make bulgogi, Korean grilled beef.

Korean/Asian supermarkets carry flank steak already sliced thin for this sort of dish.

After doing some research I have found that "yakiniku" means something akin to "grilled meat" in Japanese, and I suspect this may be where the name comes from. "Nim" in Korean is an honorific that can be Mr/Miss/Sir/Madam, so perhaps this dish is something from Korea by way of Japan!