Thursday, March 29, 2007

Blogs I Love and Why I Love Them

TulipsKaren at Miscellaneous Adventures of an Aussie Mum once asked about bloggers I admire and I froze. I lamely mumbled a couple names and afterwards realized how many I'd missed.

So today I'm listing blogs--or bloggers--I like and why I like them in no particular order. There are others too but this is enough for now and I can do more lists later, I'm discovering new blogs I love all the time. Part of the reason I've chosen these blogs is that most have contributed to my blog in one way or another and it's time to give a little thanks.

To make it a bit more organized I've broken it up into categories. First here are three bloggers that write as I wish I could. Their words are better than mine and I'm envious:

1. One Plus Two. I'm listing Jen first just because one of her posts prompted me to make this list. Jen's had experiences I've never dreamed of, she's passionate about her life and work and it shows in her writing. As a sample post I'd offer Mangoes Roasting on An Open Fire Pit

2. Mental Tesserae. I've mentioned Julie plenty of times and can't help but do it again. Her posts are interesting and intelligent. Artsy and funny, plus her kids are darn cute (Ha! Gabe and his penguins). Try This Little Piggy for a chuckle and a "I never knew that!" I tell her she's the Cliff Claven of the blogging world.

3. Planet Nomad. I love this blog. My only complaint is she doesn't post often enough to feed my craving for her words. She's blogging from Mauritania in Africa and her posts are National-Geographic-meets-Motherhood and it's a vicarious adventure every time I read. As a sample may I suggest Adventures in Eating part one (and part two)?

Next here are six bloggers that are fun to hang around. They say nice things, they comment regularly, they're people that make me understand why I enjoy the blogging community:

4. An Ordinary Mom. Lucy is one nice person. She emailed me and asked if I'd like graphics made up for my custom search engine and had them ready within hours. That's just plain nice. Her blog is climbing the charts and is one to watch. She participates in many weekly "columns" such as Menu Monday and I've been lucky enough to be able to chat with her via email. Wish she lived closer.

5. Waya. (Stands for Who Asked You Anyway?) Betty is a sweet mom expecting her fourth child and she too has had experiences that are fascinating to read. Her entries (both of them) in the Write-Away Contest are examples of what I mean.

6. Don't Try This At Home. I've already said quite a bit about Chili in my interview from last month. She's funny and a great blogger and knows her way around the CSS. She's got her fingers in so many projects and still keeps her sense of humor.

7. Growing a Life. Damselfly was one of the first bloggers I "met" and for six months now I've enjoyed her blog. I love her new Wardrobe Wednesday segment. She too is a regular for whom there's a soft place in my heart.

8. Sandy and Kurt. Sandy is the first person to list me on her blogroll back when I had six or seven hits a day and was just starting into the blogging thing. She commented regularly and made me think that maybe I could actually make a go of it. I'm a loyal person and I'll read her forever because of it. She's a teacher, a mom and a wife and--not least--a blogger.

9. Dancing Through. Janet, mother of Stinkfoot, also linked to me back in the beginning and therefore has my loyalty. She has a great deal of life experiences that influence and support her writing and she puts all of her energy into being the best mom she can.

10. An Island Life. Local Girl is one of the nicest bloggers around and runs a tight ship. Yes, I know I have a soft spot for anyone who posts pictures of Hawaii but this woman also runs the best carnival around. I've been in a lot of carnivals and The Carnival of Family Life is the best. It's organized and consistent and gets good exposure, thanks in large part to her efforts.

Next is blog that is a feast for the eyes and palate:

11. Food Blogga. Susan is an east coast transplant living in L.A. and has terrific recipes. Not only is she an amazing cook but she is quite an accomplished photographer. Who else could make broccoli rabe look so darn appealing? The first post of hers which I read was about Brussel sprouts (which I happen to love) and when I saw her tasty picture I was hooked.

Here are three bloggers that are superwomen and make motherhood look classy:

12. Littlemummy. Erica should be on your reading list not only because she creative and organized and amazing but because she's got the cutest baby on the internet. The cutest. Erica is also involved at GNM Parents, lives in Scotland (and that there makes her terribly cool) and is always looking for the latest and greatest. She's linked to me more times than I could ever repay.

13. The Motherload. Amy too is a must-read for moms. I love her Freebie Fridays and her occasional recipe and tips. She's running all sorts of things and will soon take over the world. Very soon.

14. Stop the Ride! Stephanie also blogs at Adventures in the 100 Acre Wood but Stop the Ride is her blog for tips frugality and her new "Make it from Scratch" column is a winning idea. Blogging from West Virginia you'll enjoy pictures and stories and all sorts of good things when you visit. She too is as nice as they come and would intimidate you with her superwoman skills if she weren't so darn sweet.

The funniest blogger out there (and Julie at Mental Tesserae is a close contender, but I've already mentioned her so she's disqualified):

15. Days to Come. Jeanna's a crack up--I feel sure that if she lived in Anchorage I'd be bugging her to come over all the time just for the laughs.

Yes, I know I've listed 15, and that's cheating, but there are too many blogs I like to expect me to keep it to 13. So sue me.

Technorati Tags:

41 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Planet Nomad too, and not just cuz she's my buddy. Thanks for the cool list, I'm saving it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the very nice list. I don't think I have read any of these blogs yet (I'm new to all this). I will have to come back and visit some of them via your links when I have a little time.

By the way, I saw about the fire at your church and I am sorry. What an awful thing.

An Ordinary Mom said...

Wow! I feel so distinguished being mentioned in this list :)!! Thanks!

I am eager to check out all these other amazing blogs. I better start finding more time in my day!

Wylie Kinson said...

I'm not familiar with any of these. Thanks for sharing -- I'm off to check them out!

Heffalump said...

Several of those are already in my favorites list, and now I have some more to check out. Thanks! Thanks also for commenting on my blog when you visit. I am still at the seven hits a day (in my wildest dreams) stage, and will likely stay that way. I aspire to someday write as well as many of the bloggers I read.

Girlplustwo said...

friend, thank you. you are always so supportive of my writing, it humbles and gives me courage all at the same time.

thank you. and thanks for the other reads, i so look forward to reading some new writing.

Robin said...

Planet Nomad is a favorite of mine too. She paints the most vivid pictures with her words... I'll have to check out these others as well.

Erica Douglas said...

Does anything give you a cheesey grin like someone saying your kid is cute?!

Great list and so many new friends to discover. Thanks.

Erica (littlemummy.com)

Anonymous said...

This is a great list and I intend to stop by all the blogs you mentioned. They sound like wonderful good people and I look forward to visiting them.

Happy TT Day. Mine is up on 13 reasons spring is in the air.

Macoosh said...

you gotta love good blogs and you gotta love goot blog-love. this is a great list! i can't wait for me to have 5 minutes in my life to sit and check them all out. if they're reccommended by you, i know they're good. :)

p.s. thanks for the vanilla ice cream for my apple pie; it's totally what it's been missing. haha

Carmen said...

Local girl is one of my daily stops. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you very much. I appreciate your kindness...You are one of the best bloggers out there (In my opinion)..so you are stuck with me for a while!

I can't wait to check these out!

Jenny McB said...

I have a few to check out. Island Life is a cool blog.

Will have to figure out the carnival thing, not sure how that works.

Portrait of Peter said...

We all have our favourites, and as a result - they become a daily visit.

la bellina mammina said...

Thanks for the list - I'll be sure to take a look at some of them!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

I like all that link love! It's hard for me to discover the blogs I want to read, because I'm not a good net surfer. When you find a blog you like, and they offer suggestions, it helps a lot. Thank you!

Shalee said...

I have several of these ladies on my bloglines already! And yeah, I wish I lived next to Jeana too. I just know we're related somewhere along the family line...

Anonymous said...

Now I won't be bored today. Thanks for the ideas!

Marie N. said...

I appreciate your list! Thank you.

I'm still grinning over your thoughtful husband bringing sub sandwiches home for you. Sometimes I get a hankering for a certain meal and then nothing is so satisfying as enjoying it.

Susan said...

I love this list....I might have to click on some of these links.

:-) Susan

Amy W said...

Definitely checking these blogs out, thanks!

Raggedy said...

Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Barbara said...

Gosh! My list is growing today of new blogs to check out. Started checking out the first list, and got half through it, then stopped to check out TT's again.

Check out my TT

JAM said...

Jeesh, it took me a while to finish this. Great list. I ended up going and reading some.

I found one that has inspired me greatly, I'll have a post on the subject in the next few days.

Thanks! Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I started reading Mental Tessarae on your recommendation a few months ago. Very good, indeed. Can't wait to check out the others I've missed.

Thanks for the link love!

Mercy's Maid said...

I read some of those too. Good choices!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm so honored that you would even mention me!

I'm so thrilled that the Carnival of Family Life is going well. And it's all because of wonderful bloggers like yourself who help promote it. I still remember the very 1st edition about a year ago when I only had 5 submissions. LOL!

Amy said...

AWESOME! Thanks so much, Michelle! You are one of my favorite bloggers and I am thrilled to have made the cut. My feed is so overloaded it is probably screaming for mercy, but I am totally adding all these suggestions! Thanks a bunch!!

*~*Cece*~* said...

Great post! I'm going to have to check out some of those mentioned blogs.

Bon said...

the blogosphere is so fascinatingly, bizarrely infinite yet connected that it constantly blows my mind.

i've been blogreading obsessively for the past couple of months and seriously have only happened across maybe three of your picks, EVER. two of them i'm actually linked to and share comments with, the rest...never even knew they were out there! like a spiderweb, man.

now, i shall go and check them all out. tonight. did i mention this was a bit of an obsession, currently?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the list. Can't wait to check them out. I'm a big fan of One Plus Two as well.

Christie O. said...

i like chili's blog, i found her through you! i'll have to take a look at the other ones! happy tt!

Anonymous said...

Very cool list ... I look forward to snooping around some of the ones I was unaware of :)

Anonymous said...

What a great list. I am only aware of a few of the blogs you listed. I will enjoy checking out the others. You made me want to visit them all!

Hey, I tagged you for Alex Shalman's goals meme. If you haven't been tagged already, I would love to see your answers to this one.

http://www.polliwogspond.com/2007/03/29/gotta-get-goals/

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

I can't believe you're still thinking about it - I asked you a while ago, didn't I?!?!

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for the shout out! I feel exactly the same way, my friend.

Damselfly said...

Wow, I don't deserve to be blogged about, but I'm so *honored*! And folks, the feeling is mutual. Scribbit is way classy, smart, funny and has good ideas. And maybe someday if I real visit Alaska the way I dream to .... ;)

Geekwif said...

Jeana's the best! I almost always get a great laugh at her blog and on the rare occasion when I don't, it's because she has some beautifully inspiring truth to share.

I'm looking forward to checking out some new (to me) blogs too! Thanks for the list.

Tim Appleton (Applehead) said...

You should be afraid of my wife superwoman skills, be very afraid...

Stephanie Appleton said...

I haven't been around the blog world much this week, but what a thrill to see this. Thank you so much for the kind words. Intimidate you with my superwoman skills? Hardly, but thank you.

Ignore my husband comment :)

wayabetty said...

Thanks for the "shout-out" Michelle, I'm so humbled by being mentioned on your blog. You are one of the bloggers who I admired and have learned a lot!

Thanks again!