Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fairy Gardens

Fairy GardensFairy gardens are the latest kid-crafting rage and they're as cute as they promise to be. They need a few more items than you might typically have around the house but nothing that's too hard to come by.

Make a box or use any sizable planter you might have lying around. Fill it with soil and (if you like) hot glue twigs as a fence around the outside then weave ivy or twine or anything your creativity can come up with in between the twigs to make a fairy-like fence around your garden and start planting.

Fairy GardensSmall plants are best. You can get fancy miniatures or just go for plants such as china dolls or baby's tears that have tiny leaves naturally. Use moss to fill in spaces if you'd like and scrounge through your house to find tiny treats to serve as fairy furniture for your little wonder garden. Spools for tables, rocks glued together for chairs, paper umbrellas, miniature furniture, whatever.

I've used some old miniatures I had laying around: a tiny stone fish fountain, tiny bricks and a stone garden bench then used tiny seashells to outline the path and a larger seashell as a hat.

Fairy GardensHGTV has more detailed instructions but these are getting to be so popular you could find them all over the place with a quick Google search.

Check in with Rocks in My Dryer every Wednesday for other good tips.

Technorati tags:

26 comments:

Autumn Daisy Studio said...

Very cute!!!

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

how beautiful! is this actually yours or an hgtv pic??

Heffalump said...

Those little miniatures they sell at craft stores for zen gardens would work well too. I bet my nieces would love to make one of these.

my4kids said...

I haven't seen those before very cute!

a said...

Those are so cute, and I bet fun for the kids to make.

la bellina mammina said...

Gorgeous. I don't have a garden, so, any tips for indoor plants?

The World In The Eyes Of Brothers said...

What a cute garden. I also want a fairy garden, but I'm afraid all my fairy's have moved because garden's just don't last with me. It is really beautiful. Happy WW.

Average Jane said...

Kids? I want to make one for myself!

Unknown said...

What a coincidence that you posted this ~ I was just thinking about creating a fairy garden with Hannah. We'll have to di it now :-)

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

cute, cute. I want a fairy garden for myself. (:

M said...

Great post- we are big fans of fairy gardens and place them wherever we have a space that needs filled. You don't need a container to make one. An old stump or under a tree works well too!

Daisy said...

Cute!! A few small herbs would look (and smell) great in these. Chamomile doesn't get too big. Rosemary would look like a tree. :)

Crissybug said...

I love tiny little things. What a cute idea.

Mama's Moon said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've been trying to come up with a really good way of spending some special quality time with my preschooler, and I think this'll do the trick. I can't wait to get started!

Becca said...

Michelle, check out these people they have the sweetest fairy garden things ever!
Mulberry Gardens

Your fairy landscaping is beautiful. I made a fairy garden complete with swingset. It was one of my favorite things. I made the swing seats out of tiny acorn caps. So pretty...

Maddy said...

Ooo goodee, can I play! I think I'll be playing on my own though. There again we have a sudden interest in snails around here - I suspect sabotage!
Cheers

deedee said...

My girls would love this. We have a fairy making kit that would make just the right size figures for your garden.

Lei said...

I really want to do this for one of my girls' birthday parties. They're not my thing, but I imagine little girls would just have a ball with them!

Ginny said...

I've been wanting to make one of these for years. I really need to!

Nesting For Natalie said...

So pretty, I may have to try it in the tiny garden I planted below my daughter's window.

Amy

pussreboots said...

My son was introduced to gardening through a fairy garden his grandmother gave him. He's now become an avid gardner and has taken over the planting decisions for about half of our patio garden.

Anonymous said...

I love this, thank you!!! I've posted on my blog before about our love of fairy gardens.

(PS I just linked you.)

Blondie said...

This is SO adorable. And what a superfun idea for kids!

How are your miniature orchids doing? I just bought some. I'm very excited about them. :)

Myth said...

I love that little lion bench!

Mama's Moon said...

PS -
Just wanted to let you know that in thinking how great this idea is I've linked you on my Monday Morning Munchies post today! I'm hoping to see fairy gardens in my neighborhood soon!!!

Dawn said...

The fairy gardens are so sweet! Now I'm wondering where I'd put one in my garden. :-)