Sunday, January 13, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato SoupAren't you proud of me? I've posted three healthy, light meals in a row. I don't know how much longer I can keep it up without throwing something chocolaty in soon (don't think about donuts, don't think about donuts, don't think about . . . )

Of course this soup is the best when the summer's produce is at its peak but it's still wonderful in the winter when soups are what keeps you warm. It's easy to make because you just cut up the veggies, roast them and puree them and it goes great with a side salad, crusty loaf of bread and some new year's resolutions. Yum.

2 ¼ pounds tomatoes, halved lengthwise
3 large red bell peppers, halved
1 onion, cut into thin wedges
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Arrange vegetables, onion and garlic on a greased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove and cool. Puree in a food processor, transfer to a stock pot and add the remaining ingredients except the Parmesan and heat gently for 15 minutes. Serve garnished with extra thyme and Parmesan cheese.

***

Have you entered the Write-Away Contest yet this month? The topic is "The Great Escape." Don't miss this one!

Technorati tags:

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds delish! Will you come to my house and cook for me?

Casdok said...

Mmmm does sound good!

Anonymous said...

I am making this for lunch substituting frozen peppers for fresh. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Beth Cotell said...

This sounds so good to me right now. I think I could eat a big bowl for breakfast!

I love that it doesn't have cream in it like most tomato soup recipes I see lately!

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

My husband and I are both drooling! We both LOVE tomato soup and are on a constant quest to find the perfect bowl. He's trying to match one he had while in Ireland a decade ago. The poor man; he's starved for just the right soup!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

This sounds SO yummy I'd eat it right now for breakfast! I wonder if I can substitute vegetable broth ok?

Steph

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks yummy! I'm emailing it to myself so I can try it.

Melissa Markham said...

I don't like tomato soup, but I have had roasted red pepper soup before and this sounds really yummy. I may have to give it a try.

jennwa said...

That sounds Yummy! I want some right now. I am glad healthy can taste good too.

Anonymous said...

OH YUM ! yum yum gimme some!

I did the chocolate for you last night. I made a dark choc fudge bundt cake with choc chips inside and white choc glaze! :)

Daisy said...

I saw a red pepper soup in the newspaper today, but I like yours better with its tomatoes. I might just try it.

jubilee said...

sounds like a good way to sneak in some extra veggies into my kids' fav soup!

email said...

Printing out the recipe now so I can make it this week.

Phyllis Sommer said...

sounds yummy...i'll have to give this one a try!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

MMMmmmm is right. This is another one to bookmark and print. I love soup (especially in the winter). Good, healthy choice!

April said...

Ohhhhhh, I WILL be making this for dinner soon! Bet you wish you could come! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, that would be great in late summer but good now also. I kinda have chocolate on the brain too tonight and this just set me over the edge. Off to scrounge for something tasty..

Damselfly said...

I love making soup! Thanks for a new idea.

Amy said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I am the only one who likes soup in my family. I live with a bunch of weird folks :) Who doesn't like soup? That is the ultimate comfort food.

Now I am hungry for donuts- thanks a lot :)

ames said...

oh, I love soup so!
unfortunately my guy doesn't like bell peppers (and believe me, this is the bane of my kitchen!) do you think you could substitute something like butternut squash or sweet potatoes or come other vegetable for the red pepper and still get the same effect?

Crafts and Gift Guru Gal said...

yummy~~ Awesome recipe!

dawn224 said...

mmmm now I have to wonder if it tastes more like tomatoes or more like sauce...

Anonymous said...

I made the soup for my girlfriend because she loves tomato soup. I also paired it with grilled cheese sandwhich made with ciabata bread and grilled on a panini maker. IT was delicious thanks!

Andrew BrandSEO

Unknown said...

Yum yum. I bookmarked this and I think I will finally get around to making it this weekend.