Wednesday, March 05, 2008

An Easter Egg Tree

The Winter BazaarI'm posting one of my favorite holiday decorations that I bring out every year but you're going to laugh when I tell you how hard I made it on myself--the job ended up being much more difficult than it needed to be.

Easter Egg TreeI didn't want the glaring, garish colors of the little commercial kits, I wanted muted tones on my eggs--the kind that you find in nature or something. I guess I thought they looked classy that way.

So I got out my food colors and my dyes and made this cocktail of colors, dying and dipping each blown out egg in an effort to get just that right shade of pale greenish-blue.

I must have struggled for a couple hours, entirely too long for any rational person. If my husband could have seen me he would have said I was certifiable. Sniff--but Martha would have understood me, yes she'd understand.

At any rate I finally got it just right and had my eggs nicely dyed. In fact, each was slightly different than the next which made a wonderful variety and subtle contrast. I loved it. Then I got out a toothbrush and some black paint and splattered the eggs to give them that nice speckled look. As I recall I also used some brown and a bit of silver so the speckles had a more natural look and variety.

Easter Egg TreeI collected some willow branches, strung the hollowed painted eggs with ribbon and beads like you see here and hung them. It helped to anchor the branches in glass beads for stability.

Anyway, the point is that not long after that I was going through a Martha Stewart Living issue and found an article about Martha's araucana chickens--the kind that lay bluish-green eggs. D'oh! Turns out, there's even a hatchery in Wasilla that sells them. It would have been faster for me to have drove the hour up to Wasilla than to have struggled with the dye if only I'd known. Though I suppose there are people who would still think I was crazy for driving two hours round trip just for some pretty eggs.

I was up there some time later and bought a fresh dozen just to see if I could tell a difference in taste but my clunky palate couldn't discern anything out of the ordinary. Yes, I'm a heathen I'm sure.

But regardless, the effort has graced our Easter table for years now and it's just beautiful though every year I seem to break one. I guess if I ever need to make more I know where to get the blue eggs . . .

Any great projects/ideas/activities to share? Leave your link below!


Technorati tags:

20 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Ha ha, I was going to do a post on blown out easter eggs, but I haven't had the time to do it. Maybe I will get it done before tomorrow ends.

Chrisbookarama said...

Great story! I'm stubborn enough that I'd do the same.

Wendy said...

beautiful paint job!! It was worth the time. :-)

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

Hope you're having an amazing vacation!

Amber M. said...

I understand, too. Tony thinks I'm certifiable about 89% of the time, too.:-)

Amy said...

Those are incredibly stunning. I know that must have been so much work for you. Thanks for the tip on the eggs :) I can picture myself making a trip for eggs that beautiful!

Anonymous said...

cool site and niche story mom...,i want have blog like this.

Shannon said...

Beautiful craft. . . I like the natural looking tones of the eggs, too. Very Creative ( :

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Those eggs are beautiful and absolutely worth all the time and effort!

Montserrat said...

I had to laugh as I started reading this. I was thinking Why doesn't she just go and get eggs from the local farm? Glad to know you realized where you can get some when they've all cracked.

You did an amazing job making them look like the real thing! The tree is beautiful.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

Gorgeous, and worth every minute you spent on 'em!

Small World moment - Big Daddy's aunt lives in Wasilla. We have a five-year-plan to come visit her.

Hope your vacation's going GREAT!

J said...

Those are GORGEOUS. I'm totally in awe.

zakkalife said...

I'd say the time you spent dyeing the eggs is worth it. The colors are great and you'll have them every year to enjoy.

Theresa said...

You are hilarious. Glad to know you've got a quick and easy replacement resource, but I'll bet your eggs look much better. Silver speckles, even. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I just checked #12 Easter Bunny Adventure above. Pretty sick idea.

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

So pretty. If I celebrated Easter, I would definitely do this!!!

Heather said...

My Dad has araucana hens and their eggs are SO cool! You're right - no need for dye with those eggs. They all come out the most beautiful shades of blue and green. I love the idea of putting them on a "tree." Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

This is a great achievement and the shade look great.

Melissa said...

Incredibly clever... er... maybe. lol. I probably would've done the same thing, being a perfectionist and all. It is beautiful, though!

Anonymous said...

hi!
i just found your blog via martha's website and just subscribed! can't wait to read more of your fun, crafty ideas! now here is my big favor: will you PLEASE tell me the secret to getting the right color to dye eggs (as in martha stewart-type colors? (why she doesn't just SELL easter egg dye in "her colors" is BEYOND me, but i digress...thanks in advance! i need to dye tomorrow!, xo, robyn
robynshirley@yahoo.com