Sunday, November 12, 2006

Cream of Tomato Soup with Lentils

A hearty fall soup that uses turmeric. How many times do I get to use that in a week? I got good reviews with this one but the men unanimously agreed they'd like it better with sliced sausage. Heathens. I suppose a good chorizo would be tasty in it. You could use fat free half-and-half and chicken sausage if you were watching the calories.

1 T olive oil
2 c chopped onion
1 t ground turmeric
1 t ground cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t ground black pepper
1 t salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 c water
1 pound of dried lentils
3 14-oz cans chicken broth
2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
1 c heavy cream

Saute onions in oil over medium heat for five minutes until soft. Add turmeric through garlic and cook one more minute. Add water, lentils, broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 90 minutes or until lentils are soft and cooked through. Add chopped cilantro and simmer 10 more minutes. Add cream and serve garnished with cilantro sprigs.

14 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Mmm, sounds nice. Cilantro? Is that what we call parsley? Or something different?

Liz Hinds said...

No, I've googled it: it's coriander. That's good as I like coriander but not parsley.

Damselfly said...

Wow, this looks great and should fill out my weekly shopping list! You're a lifesaver!

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely wonderful!

Girlplustwo said...

smells delicious (or so i am imagining) you always make the most amazing food, sister.

Loralee Choate said...

My husband believes EVERYTHING tastes better with sausage. Or bacon. Basically, any dead animal flesh is good.

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! I love cooking with turmeric. And cumin. I went through quite a cumin phase until my husband said, "How come everything has cumin lately?" But I think it's time to revive the cumin.

Chilihead2 said...

Can't wait to try it. I always love it when you share your recipes!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm looks so good! I love coriander in just about everything. I think it'll be our Wednesday night dinner if I pick up a fresh loaf of bread. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nice. You posted a delicious, healthy recipe. I posted a recipe for Oreo balls. That says so much. :-)

Anonymous said...

as a former "mostly eat vegan food" person, I have to admit, sausage makes almost everything better. LOL.

It looks beautiful. I should use turmeric more often.

Anonymous said...

Perfect. Keep on cookin'!

J said...

Sounds lovely.

Anonymous said...

love the blog!