Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chinese Chicken Salad

Chinese Chicken SaladThis tasty salad uses fried wonton skins for added crunchiness. If you're cutting back on calories you could substitute peanuts, sliced almonds or cashews for varieties of flavor.

1/3 pkg wonton wrappers
canola oil for frying
10 c torn Romaine lettuce
4 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 English cucumber, sliced
3-4 grilled, thinly sliced chicken breasts
2 T toasted sesame seeds

dressing:
3 T vinegar
3 T sesame oil
¼ t pepper
1 t salt
2 T sugar

Heat the oil in a skillet. Cut the stack of wonton skins in half and separate the individual skins. When the oil is ready, fry the skins in small batches until they're golden brown, leaving them to cool on a paper towel. I like to salt them lightly after they're fried.

Combine the next six salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Combine the five dressing ingredients in a tightly sealed container and shake to combine. Just before serving, toss the salad with the dressing, top with the sliced chicken and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.

Technorati tags:

9 comments:

Bec said...

Yum - sounds great! Must google Romaine lettuce to see what it matches here. Looks like what we'd call Cos.

la bellina mammina said...

that looks yummy! Am gonna try something with chicken tomorrow & if that tastes nice, gonna put the recipe up too!

Sandy said...

I'm so going to try that this week! Glancing at the recipe, I am reminded of the Oriental Chicken Salad at Applebee's. It's all I ever order.

Nicole said...

That looks so yummy. I think my kids would even eat THAT salad. YUMMO!!

Unknown said...

That looks so yummy! Going to have to add it to Sweetie's List of Things to Make!

An Ordinary Mom said...

That sounds AMAZING! I love Chinese Chicken Salad. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

yum. i can't wait to try that!!

wheresmymind said...

I'd have to add the fried wontons!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE chinese chicken salad. They make a really tasty one at Sweet Tomatoes. I think it's the dressing and the fried wontons skins that really ring my bell. I might have to try this one of these days.