Sunday, February 04, 2007

White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake

I've made this cheesecake for years and it's my favorite--and that's saying something because there are a lot of fabulous cheesecakes out there. May it set the tone for a romantic Valentine's Day for two--or in my case, six.

1 ½ c crushed chocolate wafers (about 25)
3 T butter, melted
1 12-oz pkg frozen raspberries, pureed and strained
1 T raspberry liqueur, syrup or sugar
1 t cornstarch
1 6-oz pkg white chocolate
3 8-oz pkg cream cheese
½ c sugar
3 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the wafer crumbs and melted butter, then press the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased spring form pan (I cover my hand with a fold-top sandwich bag to keep my hand clean from crumbs).

Combine the raspberry puree, syrup, and cornstarch in a pan and cook over medium heat until it's thick and bubbly, then cool the mixture slightly. In an microwave-proof bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave on a low-power setting, stirring frequently until the chocolate is smooth throughout, then set it aside.

Beat the cream cheese and sugar until they're well blended then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in the melted chocolate and mix until it's blended. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the prepared crust. Spoon 1/2 c of the raspberry sauce over the top of the cheesecake, swirling with a knife to give it the marbled effect.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until the center appears set (do not over bake). Cool for 15 minutes on wire rack then loosen the crust from sides and cool for 30 minutes more. Chill for four hours before serving with the remaining sauce.

*Note: I've heard that if you want to prevent your cheesecakes from developing cracks in the middle, let them cool as slowly as possible. I've seen it recommended that you let it cool in the oven with the door open to prevent over baking. I keep forgetting to try this, but if you know that it works, let me know.

***

Have you entered the Write-Away Contest for February yet?

Technorati tags:

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be arrested for making me salivate so early in the morning. hee hee Man, that looks good.

Just stopping by to tell you that your HILARIOUS take on celebrity baby names is my Humor Carnival Pick of the Month. Truly a classic post. The carnival is out later today. See you there.

Unknown said...

That sounds too yummy for 6am!

Anonymous said...

Uh, YUM!

Nicole said...

Oh this looks so good and I haven't even had breakfast. No fair. Now I'm going to have to go eat my BRAN cereal when I am really wanting dessert!! Should teach me to eat before blogging huh?

Anna said...

That looks amazing. :) Too bad I can't get some of the ingredients here in the UK. I will have to save the recipe for when I am back in the States.

Now I have to go through my cupboards because I am hungry...thanks a lot! :)

Stephanie Appleton said...

Cheesecake my favorite!

And yes, it does work to leave the them in the oven to cool. I under cook mine just slightly and then use a wooden spoon to prop the door open a bit. Then leave it in there until cool.

My favorite recipe also starts the cheesecake at 450 then lowers the temp to 250. I think this is also to prevent cracks.

Lisa said...

Ohhhh. That cheesecake looks AWESOME. Oh and my e-mail is motherofbun@yahoo... Look forward to hearing from ya! :-)

Anonymous said...

You're killing me. KILLING me, I say!

(I'm forgoing sweets and treats as much as I can in an attempt to wean myself from my addiction)

Christie O. said...

ooooh la la!! your web page loaded and my favorite cheesecake of all time was just staring at me in the face!!! i LOVE that cheesecake!!!! of course i love it at Cheesecake Factory (with a side of raspberry puree) but now that I actually have a shot at replicating it, I'm gonna! thanks!

Girlplustwo said...

cheesecake for breakfast.

you are a hero, sister...how you manage all this amazing cooking while juggling everything else.

J Fife said...

I'm so making this. Thank you!

Kim said...

This sounds so very yummy! I have the recipes for the pepper steak on my blog if you want to stop by and take a peek.

Have a wonderful afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Oohhhhhh
that's beautiful.
I'm fleeing temptation right now.
gottagobye

beth said...

This might be the dessert for me this Valentine's day...us...the dessert for us.

Goslyn said...

This is delicious! Made it last night, and my hubby loved it. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous cheesecake. I've never used chocolate wafers for a crust but that would be just perfect with the raspberry.

I just saw a recipe where the oven temp is lowered throughout the recipe to keep the cheesecake from cracking. The recipe I use most often is made in a bain marie which is kind of a pain, although not too much of one, and there doesn't seem to be a problem with cracking.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. That cake looks great.

Jen said...

It does work to cool cakes that way. My husband used to make cheesecakes all the time. Then we moved a mile higher, started eating better, and no longer do. But it does work.