Monday, March 26, 2007

Easter Peeps Treats

Easter Peeps TreatsEaster Rice-Krispie Peeps Treats are a tradition around here--for the kids because they love anything with this much sugar and for me because they can make them themselves.

It's the basic Rice Krispies Treats recipe shaped into little nests with a marshmallow Peep stuck on top and surrounded by tiny candy eggs. I couldn't find tiny eggs this year for some reason and instead used tiny Wilton hearts which turned out all the cuter.

If needed they can each be sealed in a plastic bag and tied with curling ribbon as an individually wrapped treat.

***

Continental Pizza and SubsYou may remember that Andrew left for eight days on business in Seattle and Washington D.C. You may remember my moaning about missing out on the fun and the chance to visit our old haunt, Continental Pizzas and Subs. Well he came home last Wednesday and you know what he pulled out of his bag? Yup, bought and carried 3000 miles just for me. Eight hours later I was enjoying my tiny piece of 8-inch heaven.

Actually, he brought me six sandwiches. The sandwiches there are so huge what you're seeing is actually a quarter of a large sandwich so he technically brought me six of these babies which I rationed out over the next few days, carefully reheating and savoring bite by bite. What you see is the one that survived the longest.

***
Erica at Littlemummy tagged me for a music meme, asking for seven songs I'm listening to right now. I posted about this a while ago so I thought I'd perhaps tackle by category:

1. Soundtrack: "Chevaliers de Sangreal" from The Davinci Code
2. Jazz: "Love Me or Leave Me" by Nina Simone
3. Classic Rock: "Rockin' Me" by Steve Miller Band
4. Folk: "Down to the Water to Pray" by Alison Krauss
5. Opera: "Ah Tutti Contenti" from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart
6. Pop: "I Like the Way You Move" by The Bodyrockers
7. Ballad: "I Know You by Heart" by Eva Cassidy

***

Yvonne at Grow Your Writing Business asked about successful blogging secrets, things I've done that contribute to my blogging. Here are six:

1. Writing in my journal every week--it keeps me at the keyboard and helps the words flow.
2. Having children--where else would my material come from?
3. Marrying Andrew--see #2. You too could have a blog if you were married to this man, he's my agent, my manager and I'm his straight man.
4. Gardening--I like to see things grow whether it's my blog or my peonies.
5. Cooking--This ensures I have at least one thing a week to post about. Guaranteed.
6. Keeping a sense of humor--it's taught me to see the potential of otherwise tragic circumstances.
***

Technorati tags:

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter is having an Easter party at school and those rice krispies treats definitely looks like something I could make (I'm not very creative). Did you shape the nest by hand or use some kind of mold?

Portrait of Peter said...

You have a really wonderful and informative "blog".

I always like to "pop-by" and read.

Thank you for sharing.

I must close my eyes, however, as the rice-krispies treats - appeal to me too!!

Also shows how much your husband loves you - bringing (6) sandwiches all that distance - without eating any of them!!

Greetings from Scotland.

Macoosh said...

i looove eva cassidy! good choice!

great post...happy monday!

Stephanie Appleton said...

Those look like kid heaven!

Eagles Wings said...

Okay I had to laugh when I read about the Continental Pizza and Subs...That is so cool that he pulled a sub out of his bag!
I used to beg my parents to bring me subs from a place up in Baltimore! That is definitely one thing I miss from MD is the subs!

Have a great day!
Blessings

Anonymous said...

awwww what sweetheart to bring you back sandwiches!!!

Unknown said...

Those Peep Treats are such a great idea! With my littlest being allergic to all things nutty, it makes Easter festivities a little tricky, but those are perfect. Thanks for the inspiration!

Danielle said...

I can relate to longing for foods from home. For me it is Dunkin Donuts coffee, the franchise doesn't operate in Vegas, so every year my sister brings me two bags and I am in heaven. Those treats look real good and I have never had a Rice Krispie treat so my boys will be thanking you for the idea I am sure.

Enjoy your sub and your husband's thoughtfulness.

Best wishes

Melessa Gregg said...

I've found keeping a sense of humor is key to writing, raising kids, and just getting through life day-by-day. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Heffalump said...

Rice Krispy Treats are amazing! They can also make a great substitute birthday cake for kids that don't like cake a lot. We made a boom box shaped "cake" out of them for #1's blue and gold cake, and I am going to use them as part of #3's lightsaber birthday cake next week.

Anonymous said...

I like your list of successful blogging secrets. I don't have kids, but I have a husband who acts like a kid at times which makes for some good blogging. And the Rice Krispie Treats nests look almost too good to eat. Almost.

Anonymous said...

I love rice krispies. In fact, that my number 1 criteria in choosing a buffet. If it has rice krispies, I love that buffet. If it doesn't, I hate it.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

my4kids said...

Mmmm peeps... I love those. So do my kids that might be a good idea for a treat although I fear the peeps may not last long enough to get on the treat.

Anonymous said...

No one who makes Easter Peeps Treats can, in good conscience, call herself a slacker. I'm just sayin.

PS I think I have to include those treats in my reformulated Easter plans...

Christie O. said...

OH. MY. GOSH. Peeps are only my favorite thing in the world and you just combined it with another of my favorites!!! I HAVE to try this. Love it!

la bellina mammina said...

that looks really yummy!! Maybe I'll let the boys make a mess in the kitchen to make them this time. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle

Thanks for taking part in the Simply Successful Secrets meme. I love the points you made.

Your sense of family, and your sense of humour shine through in your blog.

I always enjoy visiting here.

All the best

Yvonne

Sue said...

How cute are those? Now my decision is whether to make them and put them in the baskets or to just let the girls have fun making them. Yes, I think we'll make some and have them for afternoon tea!

Anonymous said...

Wow .. amazing coincidence. I was just looking at some images of the Double Musky (preparing recs for a friend) and it led me to your blog.

As I type this I'm about a half-mile from Continental. I've only eaten there once -- when they were one of the few places open during a multi-day power outage. (Big storm by MD standards. Minor blow in AK.)

I miss so many of my other old AK standards -- Lucky Wishbone chicken, Mama O's halibut sandwich (probably vanished from yuppified Spenard), a German place turned Indian in Eagle River ...

And even though they tore down and rebuilt the Safeway across from Continental, I still miss the Carr's of the late 80's/early '90s. Before the local family sold out, they were far ahead of the curve.