Monday, May 07, 2007

Five Blogs to Watch

Blogs to WatchPart of blogging is being part of a community and as such I like to watch other bloggers. Not just read them, but watch them--their ideas, their techniques, their audience. I observe the things they try, how they market themselves and what they accomplish. It's fabulous fun and I learn a great deal because contrary to whatever image I may try to promote I don't have all the answers and have learned nearly everything I know about blogging from other bloggers.

Let me introduce you to five blogs that are going places. Bloggers who are not merely bloggers but writers with good ideas and creative ways to build the blogging community and their niche. Each deserves a visit.

1. MamaBlogga: Mom's Search for Meaning Jordan McCollum runs a polished site and knows a thing or two about the Internet and about blogging. She can navigate a template with skill and write a good post. And I'm not just saying this because she flattered me with a request for an interview.

2. Christine Kane's Blog Christine is a beautiful and talented singer, songwriter and blogger that has impressed me several times with her insight and subject matter. Her music is the undercurrent in many of her posts but not necessarily the main theme of her blog which works well because it appeals to a wide base of readers.

3. My Many Colored Days Lei (pronounced "lay") runs an excellent blog that caught my attention several months ago through the monthly Write-Away Contest I host but it was her Woman to Woman forum that I thought especially creative. It promotes good writing and has added a valuable element to the momblog community.

4. This Eclectic Life Shelly Kneupper Tucker's blog is another blog I discovered through the Write-Away Contest and I've been visiting her for about a month now. Shelly's struck me as a blogger who's serious about what she does and she's running a tight ship over there. I see potential.

5. Little Woolgatherings Melissa R. Garrett is a talented mom, blogger and homemaker that is the up-and-coming Martha on the block. She has great posts and great ideas and is making a name for herself.

And there are others . . . as I said I'm always watching. I love discovering new blogs and I hope this gives you some new material to peruse. This was my entry for Darren Rowse's latest Problogger Writing Project with Top Five as the subject.

Technorati tags:

15 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

Lei was one of the first blogs I stumbled upon when I entered this blogging world (I don't even remember how I got to her site), and I instantly fell in love with her blog. I will have to check out your other links.

Anonymous said...

The first part about blogging is to get to know similar people like you and learn from them, that's how you become better at it.

Good Luck in the competition, check out my Top 5 Blogs of 2007 entry on my blog :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks Michelle! I'm a huge fan of your blog (as you already know) so I'm quite honored!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! I don't know what to say, except THANK YOU! I am so genuinely flattered, because I love reading your posts. I can't wait to check out the others whom you mentioned :-)

ming said...

I know what you mean, recently a friend of mine just started blogging. And he's really appling himself and some great ideas.... i've been blogging for 3 years, his new blog has really inspired me.

as for your blog, nice picture. and very nice post

Deb said...

Sometimes I wish I were polished and together, and that my blog were polished and together, but blogging was a opportunity where I had to choose doing in order to move past the paralysis of perfection (yes, the nasty "P" word). Through the doing I have met more bloggers and a more varied palette of bloggers than I would have met looking in from the outside. I love when bloggers I like to visit share that they didn't invent everything they do but learned from someone else from whom I can learn, too.

Unknown said...

That is a creative list, I must admit. I enjoyed Christine Kane blog, especially her congratulation to her mom. You can view my 5 Top Myths Foreigners Have About Ukraine.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post, Michelle, and will check out your recommendations, also try to keep in touch!
Fellow MomBlogger, Sherri

Karen Putz said...

I enjoyed checking out these blogs!

Jordan McCollum said...

My goodness; who's flattering who now? ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm jumping up and down and trying to type at the same time! Thanks for your kind words, Michelle, they have great impact coming from someone I respect! And, I do you. You know you have been an inspiration for me.

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Great list, Scribbit! Thanks for the heads-up on these. My bloglines feeds are starting to overwhelm me!

Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife said...

Great blog..I'm still new at this but am really enjoying reading the variety of blogs people have. Good luck in the competition!!

A Cowboy's Wife

Lei said...

I really appreciate your kind words, Michelle... :)

Anonymous said...

How cool to read this blog - just as we head into Mother's day. Thanks -- great collection of new blogs to watch!