Sunday, June 24, 2007

Coq au Vin Rosettes

Coq au Vin RosettesThe first time I made these I was in heaven, thought they were fabulous. Andrew, with his passionate fear of all things fungi-licious, was less happy about the meal. Even though the recipe is chocked full of his favorite things: cream cheese, cheese, pasta--just knowing those little mushrooms were in there waiting for him terrified him.

I was strategic about it though and I waited. The next time I made the recipe I mixed the filling but stuffed it into jumbo pasta shells and sneakily scooped out the mushrooms from his specifically designated "Fungi-Free" shells. In a different form he didn't notice it was the same recipe and without the mushrooms and life was good. He loved it and never knew the difference.

Pasta Shells with ChickenThe things I do to fix a meal (and to get my mushroom fix!)

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried tarragon (I LOVE tarragon)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 lasagna noodles, cooked
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup shredded gruyere
1 cup shredded muenster
3 tablespoon slivered almonds

In a large frying pan saute the onion and mushrooms in butter until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken, broth, tarragon, pepper and salt. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. Cut the lasagna noodles in half lengthwise, curling each into a ring, then spoon the chicken mix into the center of each ring, reserving liquid in the pan.

Add the cream cheese to the liquid and heat until the cheese melts. Separately mix sour cream and flour then blend in the half-and-half until well combined. Add the sour cream mixture to the cream cheese mixture in the pan. Cook until thick and bubbly, then cook two more minutes over a reduced heat. Spoon the cheese sauce over the noodle rings and top with the shredded cheeses and broil until brown. Top with the slivered almonds and serve immediately.

Technorati tags:

14 comments:

Robin said...

That is SO my kind of recipe! I'll have to try it as soon as we've recovered from last night's heart attack on a plate Mexican dinner.

Unknown said...

OH YES! This is going on the list! Thanks for the great recipe :-)

Melissa R. Garrett
www.LittleWoolgatherings.blogspot.com
www.TheSilverTongue.blogspot.com

Jthemilker said...

Oh wow! I'm saving this one and will be trying it very soon!!!! THANKS!!!

tracy m said...

I am SOOO making this for dinner tonight...!

Ice Cream said...

Oooo, I like how fancy it looks. I will have to make this for a special night when it is just the hubby and me (That way I don't have to listen to all the whining about trying something new).

V said...

I love when I find tried & true recipes. Thanks also for posting your Homemade Granola recipe. I was one of the many that requested it. :)

Are you still lovin' your new kitchen? Anything you'd change? More electrical plugs? More drawers? Anything?

all over the map said...

I'm with Andrew. I do not like mushrooms. The recipe sounds even more fabulous sans mushrooms. HA!

Michelle Alley said...

This looks really good! Very clever to hide the mushrooms. PS. I love In my Trive Album too!

OhTheJoys said...

I gained weight just looking at the picture!

elaine@bloginmyeye said...

mmmmmm...this sounds heavenly. No one else in my family will eat mushrooms either, so I'm always ordering them when we're out.

la bellina mammina said...

You've won an award!! Visit my blog... It's lunch time here and I'm getting hungry just looking at those pics!!

Mrs. O said...

I have everything but the gruyere to try this recipe. I think I will use the shells as well.

Unfortunately, I'm the only mushroom lover in this house. More for me.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, yum,yum,yum. Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

I made this for my husband. He pouted when we ran out of leftovers, and licked the final bowlful clean. SO good, thank you for posting it!