Sunday, August 19, 2007

Red Cabbage and Apples

Red Cabbage and ApplesNow I know what you're thinking:

1. I don't eat purple food.

2. I don't mix my veggies and fruits.

3. I don't do cooked cabbage. Period.

But oh how wrong you are! I myself was skeptical but when I fixed my Swedish Meatballs recipe last week I was in the market for a healthy side dish to balance out the heavy cream used around those tasty little albondigas (Spanish for meatballs--your word for the day, say it, "al-bon-DEE-gas"--don't try to say I haven't taught you anything) and decided to give another Scandinavian recipe a try. All those millions of Swedes can't be wrong can they? Okay don't answer that.

And though I'm not a big fan of cooked cabbage this was really delicious, utilizing that mysterious yet wonderful sweet-and-sour pairing that has made China great. Vinegar and sugar give it a sweet and tart tang that I found very "more-ish" as my Mom will sometimes say.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 cups shredded red cabbage
¾ cup chopped peeled tart green apple
6 tablespoons apple cider or juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar

Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften, about three minutes. Add apple cider, vinegar and sugar. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

***

Have you entered the Write-Away Contest this month? The topic is collections and it's going to be great--The Moose's Tooth has given me a genuine Moose's Tooth t-shirt as this month's prize.

Technorati tags:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle!
Finally...another person who likes "German Red Cabbage"! I love it, but no one in my family ever did, so when I would make a pot of it, I'd end up eating it for about 3 days, and obviously this isn't such a great idea for your tummy.
Your recipe looks great, and makes me want to whip up a batch soon.
Hope that your summer is great, and I'm sure that you're busy with school shopping.
Have a good week.
Kathy from NY

Robin said...

That looks good. How sweet and tangy did this come out? I'm forever trying to recreate the red cabbage and apple side dish I ate at a rustic restaurant in the Austrian Alps once, but I haven't found it yet. The last few I tried tasted sort of bland.

Loralee Choate said...

I love cabbage (Cooked or raw), I don't mind mixing fruits and veg AS LONG as it is NOWHERE NEAR OR IN JELLO, and I heart tarot rolls and if you can do a purple bread, this is no biggie.

Sounds YUM.

OhTheJoys said...

Yum! I eat purple food!

SabineM said...

Actually looks yummy! I am going to have to try this. I think that they make this or a version of this in Switzerland during GAme season!

Heffalump said...

I am always looking for Scandinavian recipes. I will admit a little bit of skepticism about it, but I will have to give it a try.

Lydia Netzer said...

Ah, yes, it's the sweet-and-sour combination that has made China great! I had been wondering! ;D Mmmmm.... cabbage. Unfortunately it makes me rather toxic to be around later in the evening.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I am not sure I even like cabbage, but that sounds yummy! I love cider vinegar, and who doesn't love sugar? I will have to print this for next week. Thanks.

Kendra said...

oh, that sounds really good! i think i'll give it a try!

i've fav-ed you on technorati BTW. i've been visiting your blog recently and have enjoyed reading!! =)

Chris said...

I have Dane in me and we always had red cabbage for Christmas. The smell always reminds me of the holidays.

Joan said...

The vinegar (or red wine) is essential to this recipe -- without the acid, the cabbage turns this horrid blue-gray color.

Otherwise -- yum!