Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fresh Papaya and Chicken Quesadillas

Fresh Papaya and Chicken QuesadillasIf you're nervous about how papaya and chicken might taste together surrounded by a love bed of cheese--don't be. It's terrific, take my word for it. The papaya gives it a sweet and tropical flavor that is a little different but nothing to fear.

With the chicken in there, these quesadillas are much more than just an appetizer, these are officially a Healthy Main Dish. From henceforth and forever. Because I say so.

8 large flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 chicken breasts, grilled and thinly sliced
1/3 cup of red onion, finely diced
1 papaya, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cups of fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray
sour cream
salsa

Lay out four of the tortillas and divide the ingredients among them in this order: first the cheese, then the chicken, onion, papaya, cilantro and spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with the remaining four quesadillas. Grill lightly in a frying pan coated with non-stick spray. After lightly browning both sides and melting the cheese, remove from pan and cut each quesadilla into quarters and top with a dollop of sour cream and 2 tablespoons of fresh tomato salsa if desired.

Technorati tags:

15 comments:

Mrs. O said...

THat sounds pretty tasty, you're quite a creative cook.

Tammy said...

Oh, these sound so good! When my husband and I were first married, we went to a Mexican restaurant and got mango and chicken quesadillas for an appetizer. As we were eating them, this really loud music started up, and I said in a sarcastic voice, "Oh, we even get live music". I continued eating, and about halfway through the meal, I turned around, and there was a Mexican band, singing live! LOL I was stunned! My husband thought I knew because of what I said, but I had no idea.

Anyhow, this recipe sounds so good!

Le laquet said...

I am not nervous about the thought of chicken and papaya together at all - yum! I shall be having a crack at these this week :o) Being Welsh I have to ask ... Monterey Jack cheese? Strong? Mild? Texture?

Cynthia said...

I'm in, this looks/sounds great!

Stephanie Appleton said...

We love quesadillas. It is a very popular lunch around here. I've made them a lot of different ways, but never with fruit! I wonder what the reaction would be?

Heather said...

Can I just move into your house so I can eat the yummy food you cook?
I LOVE quesadillas, but I've never made them with papaya. I'll have to try it! Thanks!

SabineM said...

yummmmyyyy! Wish i had seen this before I made my lunch! Next time! will save this one!
Monterey Jack is mild, well at least for a Swiss Person!

Ice Cream said...

Yummers! That looks and sounds so good. Thanks for the recipe.

Beck said...

Papaya and chicken sound DELICIOUS together! I can't wait to try these out!

Lydia Netzer said...

Sounds interesting. I tried cooking with papaya once, and as I was seeding it, realized it smelled like the inside of a boot. I regret to say I could not persevere.

Donetta said...

Come visit me, You are a star!

Brissiemum2 said...

Rofl! I wondered about that cheese, too. We don't have it here. Is it like cheddar? Chicken and mango go beautifully together. I'm guessing that papaya is what we call paw-paw. I've never tried it with chicken and cheese but I'll take your word that it is delicious.

David said...

Our local Mexican restaurant uses plantains. We have ordered then in burritos, quesadillas, and the like. YUM!

JAM said...

When we first moved into our house, the previous owners had planted a papaya tree right next to the screened pool enclosure. It finally got so big I had to cut it down.

But I loved the papayas off of it while I could. I was the only one in the family that liked them so I had them all to myself.

Alas, I don't like mixing sweet flavors with my food. I can only deal with one type or another. I'm weird like that.

maiylah said...

i love cheese quesadillas; this variation sounds good!
thanks for the recipe! :)