Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Christmas Tidbits

Christmas TidbitsI know you all have hours of holiday time left to burn, so here are some things that might help pass the hours:

* A vocabulary test to see if you know what embrangle, carrageen or coleopteras are (thanks to Allysha at Bells on Their Toes) It. Never. Ends. 7000 grains of rice and I'm begging for more . . .

* A geography test to see if you know anything about anywhere (thanks to Gosduck at Wishful Thinking). OH THIS IS FUN! I scored 368,000 points and 111 for my traveler I.Q. but it wasn't enough to continue to the final two levels. I got Guinea and New Guinea mixed up under the pressure of being timed. Who knew Paraguay and Uruguay were so far apart? D'oh!

* Jen at Something to Say is hosting with Allison at Soccer Mom in Denial a reading day challenge in January for all who are interested . . . if you're not still playing that geography game.

* GoodyBlog is hosting some fabulous giveaways this week.

***

Also, thanks to Waily Waily for passing this award my way:You Make Me Smile Awardand to Ames for this one:Nice Matters AwardA lot of these awards go around the blogging circuit but here are some bloggers who deserve them both:

* Babysteps--she's kind and thoughtful and her emails always make me chuckle. I try not to drink any beverages when reading them as it's too dangerous.

* My Fairbanks Life--because Theresa's got a good sense of humor where the winters are COLD.

* My Many Colored Days for Lei's thoughtful insights (where have you been Lei?? We miss you!)

Also, I got this award from JD's Daze:Wonder Woman Awardand am passing it along to:

* Adventures in Babywearing--because Stephanie knits, she blogs, she carries the baby.

* Like Merchant Ships--because Meredith saves money and makes it look fun.

* Littlemummy.com--because Erica is a Wonder Woman and Erin is Wonder Baby.

I also thought I'd use this as a chance to showcase some blogs I've only just discovered and am frequenting. I hope you can make it through the whole list as they're all great reads and are people I hope to get to know better.

* Are We There Yet Mom?--With three girls, a boy and a husband of eight years it's no wonder her blog is so enjoyable.

* Little Elephants--I have an extensive list of craft blogs but this is a new one that has some cute ideas. I like her header and title too.

* Chocolate on My Cranium--What else do you need to know other than she's a mom to seven who loves chocolate? Oh, and she just turned 30 and has great ideas.

* My Chaos My Bliss--Cecily takes beautiful photos and has entertaining kids.

* Overstuffed with Wonder-- Lara has three sweet daughters and stories to tell.

* Summer's Nook--Another great read that I'm enjoying. Terrific stuff.

* The McIllece Spot--Amber is my cousin, has three beautiful children and is terribly crafty.

* What Works for Us--She cracks me up.

* The Chronicles of a SAHM--The Nap Warden is also funny and entertaining.

* "Life Isn't about Finding Yourself. Life Is about Creating Yourself."--Long title but Sabine is a sweet woman in California with a family and horses. You'll love her.

* Tammy's Times--I warn you now, this is another great blogger with an Etsy store that you won't be able to resist . . . just warning you . . .

***

Congratulations to Kim of North Bend, Washington who has won this week's Saturday giveaway. She has a new pair of silver heart earrings from Over the Moon Jewel to enjoy. Once again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience of the entry form host site breaking down on Saturday--it's fixed and ready for action again this week. Ah, technology.

Technorati tags:

25 comments:

frog ponds rock... said...

hehehehe my mum just sent me that cartoon in an email.. Yay it is good to know we aren't that different whether we are in Alaska or Australia

cheers kim

Janet said...

I've loved that snowman cartoon for years. Lauri had that vocabulary test on her website a few months back. After an hour and a half I finally quit (I don't remember where I was) and I'm afraid to go back.

ames said...

oh man, that cartoon cracks me up! I love the intensity of the rabbit, he is one determined critter!

I got sucked into the vocabulary test too, though I stalled out at level 41. They started throwing me words that not only had I never seen before but I couldn't even figure out what language they came from! But I love that my internet obsession could actually help feed some people, that's the way it should be.

Summer said...

Thanks for the link love.

Love that comic at the top. Have you seen any of the Calvin and Hobbes snow men comic strips? They're hilarious!

Marie N. said...

Great games! I'll be sitting at the PC on sleepless nights with piles of rice before my glazed eyes.

And who knew Atlanta was the city too busy to hate? My traveler IQ was 110, but next time I play I'll be getting to that elusive 7th level.

My son loves geography games on the PC, but I had not encountered this one before.

Ice Cream said...

Ack! I keep telling myself I need to spend less time on the computer and here you are giving me more reasons to stay on. I love the vocabulary quiz. I'm still too scared to try the geography one (I can't handle the truth).

Lara Neves said...

I've been donating quite a lot of free rice myself in the past bit. Can't get past Level 43 to save my life though. :)

Thanks for the shout out! I have been enjoying your blog myself in the past couple months. I actually found it through Lei...I've been missing her too, but I think she mentioned she was cancelling woman to woman for a bit and taking a break. Hope she's back soon.

Montserrat said...

The vocabulary quiz is awesome! And that comic strip, that's hilarious.

Thanks for blog mention too. What a lovely surprise it was!

jubilee said...

Unless my children come looking for me, I'll be taking that vocab test. Wish me luck. . .

Funny cartoon!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the mention Michelle.

That is a really nice surprise. And I am really enjoying reading your blog as well.

I love taking quizzes, I will have to check this one out.

Cute snowman comic. Reminds me when we lived in ABQ, and my oldest made a snowman and the neighbors dog, ran away with it's nose. I thought my daughter would be devastated, but she actually found it funny!!

~Christine
www.arewethereyetmom.com

Maddy said...

My you have been busy - almost like housekeeping with all that catching up.

Congratulations to everyone.

Cheers
This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Amber M. said...

Thank you so much, Michelle, for mentioning me in your blog...I'm HONORED! I can't wait to check out all the other fun blogs out there you posted about...

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Sincere thanks for the shout out crafty chic! And I LOVE that cartoon!

Anonymous said...

I've been very good at vocabulary or geography. In fact, I don't think I could even name all 50 states. Sad, huh?

Kailani
An Island Life

Carina said...

Aww shucks. You're nice too. Garsh.

Love the cartoon and I agree with Summer: Calvin and Hobbes snowmen are the coolest ever. We tried to recreate them every winter when we lived in Colorado, but the snow was too dry in our area.

soccer mom in denial said...

Thanks so much for mentioning Day to Read on January 10, 2008!! What do you plan on reading?

Amy said...

This is a great list of blogs. I am going to have to check some of these out that I had missed ;)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh wow- I'm honored! I haven't won an award in so long! Thank you!

Steph

Daisy said...

Love the cartoon! I'm sure my rabbit would find a way at those noses; dryer or not.

Cecily R said...

Thanks so much for including me! You made my day!

Even though I haven't looked at the Geography test site, I am impressed with your score. I am a geography idiot and would likely score less than double digits...

Tammy said...

That geography test was fun! My husband and I had fun with it for about a half hour! :)

Thank you for linking to me. =) Have a great day!

Melissa Stover said...

enjoying all the links!

Veronique Christensen said...

Thanks so much for the link! Now I'm off to try out that vocab test -- wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

that geo test was fun. But the problem is, as long as you get basically pretty close to a country, you get quite a few points.
I see myself wasting a lot of time with this one...

Cynthia said...

Wow, an award from Scribbit! I am honored!