Sunday, March 23, 2008

Curried Chicken Orzo Salad

Curried Chicken Orzo SaladIn one of life's great ironies my mother, who lives in India, hates curry. So naturally every time I cook with curry I'm thinking of her and wishing her well in the Land of Curry.

This chicken salad uses orzo (rice shaped pasta) with a touch of curry in a lime-honey vinaigrette that's one of my favorites. I usually get overly zealous when I'm making it and end up making way too much so that I'm eating the leftovers for a couple days afterwards. Mmmmm.

16 ounces orzo, cooked
3 chicken breast, diced and lightly browned
3 cups halved grapes
1 1/2 cup raisins
6 green onions, sliced

For the dressing:
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons lime juice
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons curry
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon ginger

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients for the dressing in a container that securely seals and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.

Technorati tags:

21 comments:

Kelli said...

I love curry, and got the family hooked so it looks like I'll have to make this soon!

Robin said...

I love curried chicken salads. I'll definitely be adding this one to the repertoire!

Loralee Choate said...

Woah! Why is the mom in India again? Mission? Fun? Work? Cow preservation, what??

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks great. I will try it out sometime. Happy Easter to you all. God bless you and your family always.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love curried chicken, and I love grapes, so any recipe that puts the two together will work for me.

Anonymous said...

That sounds really tasty!

Unknown said...

This looks GREAT! I love curry..and orzo. I hadn't made orzo in years and made a basil parmesan orzo just the other day. Must try yours!

Pieces said...

Mmm, that looks really nummy. There is something perfect about chicken, curry and grapes in a salad.

Heather said...

Mmmmmmm!!! Looks great!

Sonja said...

The dressing sounds fabulous! I think rice vinegar makes a big difference.

Thank you for all of your great recipes and ideas. It's such a treat to read your excellent writing and thoughtful insights.

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Sounds and looks wonderful! I'm adding it to my menu. Thanks!

J said...

Usually when I hear people say they hate curry, it's because they hate hot, spicy food, and they don't realize the depth and mildness that curry can have. But since your mom lives in India, I'm going to trust that she actually doesn't enjoy curry. :) This recipe looks very yummy.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Lovely...I've always had a soft spot in my heart for curried chicken salad. The orzo offers a new twist...I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Oh man oh man, does that sound delish. It also sounds pretty weight-watcher friendly, for this weight watching girl.
~Melanie Glenn

Ice Cream said...

WHAT? Oh I want to cry. How can someone live in India and not like Indian food? Tell her to just send it all my way.

This dish looks so good (and leftovers can be a good thing).

Anonymous said...

Finally a new orzo recipe..it sounds delicious..Ill try it for tomorrow's dinner..thanks!

all over the map said...

I love curry. I make a mean curried chicken salad and a tuna version too, so this was right up my alley.
Thanks for this. I made it for dinner last night. I mixed it with some salad greens and used cranberry pieces instead of raisins. I like these combinations as you can vary up with adding other things.

Anonymous said...

tried this recipe and it came out wonderful. Thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

mmmm...anything with curry is delicious..thanks for this recipe

Anonymous said...

I think i know what im going to cook tonight..thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

Mmm..salads are always good..i wonder if i can replace another type of pasta if i dont have Orzo?