Friday, April 03, 2009

Uptight and Outta Sight

Colored TightsDo you hear how the word "tight" is back in vogue? Though it's acquired a slightly different meaning than it had when I was using it in high school. To be tight back then was not good but now it seems it's something to be highly desired, perhaps influenced by the Botox phenomenon.

You want to be tight folks. Work for it.

Speaking of tights . . . when I went to BlogHer last summer and Heather Armstrong (aka Dooce) was the keynote speaker I had a front row seat which put me at the table under her nose and at about knee height.

I was perfectly positioned to see her rockin' tights, which I stared at for most of the event. She had on this blue and yellow striped dress and hot purple tights that were so wild and fun that I ended up buying a pair for myself when I got home.

As with most clothing, nylons and tights have some distinct rules which I carefully researched before test driving my own Pair of Purple Hotness and if you're looking to update your wardrobe and be a little out there while not being TOO out there I suggest you give it a try.

Matching Is Good
As you see from the Smurfette in the photo (which look I really love) you can match your tights with your outfit. Wearing all one color is a slimming technique as it is and if you're concerned about drawing too much attention to your legs by having them one color while the rest of your body is another then matching everything might make you feel better.

Not Matching Is Better
Personally I really love the look of contrasts such as you see in the second catwalk shot. Mustard yellow, purple, burgundy, blue--take a color and pair it with an interesting texture and contrasting color like you see above. If you've noticed trying to have all your ensemble matching from a specific two-color palette is soooo 80s-90s (as my daughter says).

However, you have to be careful here. If you're going to go this route the payoff is better but it's riskier. Don't bring in too many colors, keep it simple. Two or three maybe. You don't want a blue shirt, brown skirt, turquoise earrings, purple tights, plaid scarf and yellow shoes screaming at every one you meet on the street do you? And solids are a safer bet--or at least use prints and plaids in moderation. If you cross over into gauche you won't look hip, just uninformed.

NEVER Wear White Tights
You can wear magenta or gold or orange but NOT white. Unless you're under the age of 10. Or a ballerina. Then you can pull it off, otherwise no white tights or nylons period.

Don't Wear Peep Toes with Tights
Or with nylons. Though in my mind this rule seems very very wrong. If you've got sheer-to-waist hosiery and can hide the toe seem then why not? (This is coming from a woman with the whitest albino legs you can produce so not wearing nylons at all isn't so attractive on me. Let's just say "varicose veins" and leave it at that shall we?) Regardless of the unjustness of this law there it is. Ballet flats can work, or mary jane pumps would be cute. Even short boots but not peep toes, sorry.

Colorful Tights Are Better with Shorter Skirts
If you go to all the trouble of picking out funky tights then cover them up with a long skirt what's the point? Then they're just a distraction. If you want them to be an accessory then flaunt them with frilly, flouncy skirts or maybe a short, straight skirt.

Ombre TightsAnd as a final word, I saw a fabulous link yesterday to a page on Burda Style where you can take a pair of white tights or nylons and with a little dye make a smashing pair of ombre tights (ombre is the new "it" look).

In fact the only thing possibly more hip than colored tights would be colored tights with a gradient.

14 comments:

NGS said...

Yay for tights!! I have never not been on the tights bandwagon. I have striped ones, colored ones, and crazy textured ones. I'm also the woman at the office with the crazy socks all the time. What can I say? I love me some hosiery!!

Melanie Jacobson said...

The problem with matching your tights to your outfit is that if you're not careful, you can look like a crayon. You know...like the model in blue.

Chrissy Johnson said...

I've worn tights almost every day since I was 10 and they just make me sooooo happy. There's a great website called Sock Dreams (www.sockdreams.com) where you can find some fun, comfortable ones that will last you your whole life...especially up here! I think part of the reason we moved up here was so I could wear tights year round!

Jena Webber said...

I love dying. This could be fun. White tights do seem a little odd now that you mention it. Love your newsletter BTW. You're going to miss the comments.

Flea said...

Tights with a gradient would ROCK. I love tights. Unfortunately, I hate skirts.

Kristen M. said...

I love tights. If only I had the long skinny legs of those models.

Mozi Esme said...

Guess I need to do some shopping to be tight again! I've got quite a selection of blacks already, and I do love tights, so I might not mind this shopping spree.

That's the problem with peep toes. I love the looks, but never buy them.

jacjewelry said...

Great post! I love the second catwalk picture - not quite matching, but still looking fabulous!

Madeline said...

I might not be quite adventurous enough for that look. Unfortunately, I've never been partial to my legs. Thus, drawing attention to them scares me. But it is very cute in photos.

miriama said...

LMBO My daughter, 14, uses the word tight all the time!!!

As for wearing tights I don't think so..unless they are black. My legs just aren't that great anymore.

Damselfly said...

Tights are fun but just not something people wear where I live, sigh....

Mandy said...

Hmmm, I just don't know if I can pull these off???

chelle said...

Yay tights, for us cold weather dwellers it means we can wear skirts sooner!

Janet said...

I love tights. I don't have to shave my legs all winter.