Friday, July 27, 2007

Cain's at It Again

Genetic Experiments in AlaskaCain, our friend from next door, seems to be creeping into more and more conversations lately as the summer progresses. We were at the dinner table only this week, enjoying our calories, when David paused between bites to say, “Cain’s creating a new species.”

Not knowing we were living next to Dr. Moreau all I could come up with was, “Really?”

Andrew, who’s always been more alert during our evening meal said, “What kind of species is he creating?”

David, his mouth now full of food, answered through his burger but I was too curious about the genetic experiments occurring in our midst to care, “He’s been sticking things in his tree to get them to grow into the branches so the tree has different parts growing out of it.”

“What kind of stuff?”

“Pieces of metal and things like that.”

“He’s trying to graft metal onto a lilac tree?”

“Yup.” And more chewing.

“O-kay. . . ” I said slowly as I began to entertain mental images of a cyborg-lilac monster rising from the dust next door to terrorize the neighborhood.

“Oh, and he tried to get a beetle and a centipede to mate.”

“How’d that go for him?”

“He failed. They didn’t like each other.”

I hear that’s a major problem with inter-species dating but it’s just as well, I don’t know that world is ready for a beetle with a hundred legs though I enjoyed the vision of Cain trying to encourage romance. What does one do to set The Mood for two invertebrates? Roses? Chocolates? Oysters? Or maybe they're less demanding and just need a little raw meat and a dung pile for an evening of love. I'll have to ask Cain.

Technorati tags:

22 comments:

Heffalump said...

Hmmm...maybe we should hope that as he gets older his career path veers away from geneticist.
I hope he doesn't create some superbug impervious to RAID, but I wouldn't mind a metal plant that would be impervious to my ability to slowly kill anything that is green.

Heather said...

What a trippy neighbor you have! I hope my 9 yo doesn't get wind of the whole grafting concept. I like my trees sans metal, thank you. :o)

Anonymous said...

Everybody has to have a hobby, I guess. Interesting neighbor. Lucky you.

Mrs. Cowan said...

I just get a feeling that one day we're going to hear about some scientific breakthrough in medical research by Cain (insert last name here) and in the Time magazine interview he'll be laughing about his failed experiments during his Alaskan childhood.

Either that, or he'll be on America's Most Wanted.

The Late Bloomer said...

Michelle, this post was so funny! I just had to tell you how you made me laugh this afternoon. Great story!

Maybe you've got a budding entomologist there... Or like Heffalump said, a geneticist?

Pendullum said...

Thanks for the laugh this morning...
Interesting neighbourhood you have....

Jenny said...

Sounds like an interesting neighbor you have there....

Maddy said...

I'm fine with the bugs but I'm intrigued by the Lilac and metal?
Cheers

J said...

He might create some wonderful new species of avocado some day....though probably not in Alaska...I'm guessing avocado trees don't do too well there. ;)

Lindy said...

Someone named their child Cain? (Have they read the Bible. . .or at least know the story?) Wow—creative little guy, he is!

Jenn in Holland said...

Hooray! Cain's back!! I am a real fan of this kid. Quirky as he may be, I think the two of us would be friends.
Love the idea of beetle romance, scribbit. That will keep me giggling awhile.

Anonymous said...

I love this Cain kid.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anything wanting to mate with a centipede. They give me the creeps!

EcoFloridaMag.com said...

If I were you'd I'd sleep with one eye open. And maybe some beetle spray under my pillow.

Kirsten said...

Delurking to say.....YIKES.

That is all.

V said...

Now that's a kid conversation I'd be interesting in listening to!

Anonymous said...

Let's hope he never watches/reads The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Anonymous said...

hi michelle: "how'd that go for him?" and "dung pile." you crack me up girl! thanks for the chuckle.

~blessings, kathleen :)

Carolanne said...

I like Cain's initiative and imagination. I like it that he gives things a go that others don't even think of trying.
Most kids these days are inside playing games rather than outside exploring their world and looking for ways to change it.
Cain is going to go places, I think!

K T Cat said...

Scribbit, don't worry about the cyborg lilac. We have them all over the place here in San Diego and less than 20% of them ever go on psychotic, homicidal rampages where nothing can stop them except the Super Friends.

Suzanne said...

Awesome... you gotta love the kid for trying. Anything other than video games, is what I say.

Anonymous said...

hahaha I so have a mental image of the bugs at a candle light dinner.