Friday, April 18, 2008

Pass the S'mores and Watch out for Baby Kangaroos

Baby KangaroosIf you're still stuck with winter weather outside here are a few of my favorite places to visit:

* Dig out your digital camera and look at these 12 Clever Uses for Your Digital Camera--it's not just for pictures anymore.

* If you're thinking of opening an Etsy store now's the time because here are some tips for How to Run a Successful Etsy Shop.

* Make a Mini Smores Grill. I'm going to do this one for sure. No better way to warm up, though I think I'll use a Sterno can.

* And if that's not sweet enough try Making Your Own Magic Shell for ice cream. Do you think I can duplicate the toasted coconut shell that I'm addicted to over at Tastee Freeze? It will take some work but it would be worth it.

* Paint a Watercolor Bouquet. It's fool-proof, I couldn't possibly mess this one up. Now I know what to put above my mantel.

* Make a Kinetic Drawing Bug. You'd have to see it to understand what that is but it has terrific possibilities.

* Make a Gnome Home for the Garden. Another project I will absolutely do this spring, I promise. Or maybe a Fairy Bed.

* Make some Simpsons Cupcakes. Or alternately, play Cupcakes of Catan. I'll trade you a coconut for two chocolate chips? Those are my kinds of settlements.

* Lust after things you'd like to buy. Like this coolest-ever fruit platter from Doodle, the Better Baker Gourmet Bowl Maker (I can see Andrew filling his with cold cereal) these recycled aluminum faux birch vases from VivaTerra or these gorgeous flower-puff handbags from The Other Sister. Must . . . have . . . orchid . . . bag . . .

That ought to keep you busy.

And if you're still looking for entertainment think on this:

While traveling in the car last week Spencer read to us the odd random fact, "Did you know that a baby kangaroo can fit into a teaspoon?"

To which David responded, "I'll make sure I check the spoon before I eat."

Technorati tags:

16 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Great links! Thanks for including that Etsy link. I started a shop.

I first heard about Etsy here! Thanks!

Shannon said...

I bookmarked the etsy link. Thanks for all of the super fun ideas. I will use them for sure!

Ice Cream said...

I have actually been getting all the supplies to make those mini smore grills. I plan to give them to my outdoorsy brother and his wife for Christmas.

Lori - Queen of Dirty Laundry said...

I can't wait to do the watercolors and the fairy bed with my girls this summer!

And I'm a bit envious of that toasted coconut shell at your Tastee Freez. We have a TF near us, but the menu is so boring I've never even tried anything.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Kinetic drawing bug has my son's name all over it! : )

Loralee Choate said...

Those grills are so cute!

When I make S'Mores I have taken to doing them in the grill or the oven (Assemble the smore, wrap in foil and put on the top rack of the grill while grilling dinner or in the oven in on low heat (250 or so) for about 20-30 minutes.)

However, this is so cute, I may have to just make one now.

J Fife said...

Thanks for some fresh ideas. I'm feeling stuck in a rut lately.

Also, I'm completely late with this, but it was awesome to see you mentioned in the WSJ. You're famous!

Anonymous said...

"#12 - A Backup Light

If you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night in a dark hostel somewhere, use your digital camera as a makeshift lantern."

Ughhh...Just that sentence alone is going to give me nightmares! If those who have seen the movie "Hostel" you will know what I am talking about. -shivers-

But that is a good idea and something I will keep in mind. I know I use my cellphone for light on a daily basis lol

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the fun links, Michelle.
My girls will love to make a Fairy Bed.
I'll enjoy reading the Etsy link. I just need to set up my shop.

Lara said...

Thanks! I loved the digital camera ideas. Very educational!

Sonja said...

Please post the recipe for the Toasted Coconut shell when you find it.

I'm off to go lust for the cute things you listed. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've heard about s'mores and just had to look them up. We have roasted marshmallows sometimes in winter (not long now), but with chocolate and crackers?

I'll have to try it. Just out of curiosity, of course.

And that watercolour painting will be a fantastic project for Wren & Mr Bump to try. (& me too)

Damselfly said...

Can't mess up a watercolor? Ha! Just watch me. Er, don't. I am just not a visual-arts person, sadly...

Ice Cream said...

I just sold my Settlers of Catan cupcakes at the Boy Scouts cake auction for $45 and got many compliments for it. Thank you so much for sharing the link.

my4kids said...

Those are cute ideas and I bet my girls would love the idea of the fairy beds!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful links!!