I was sent a copy of America at Home to review--it's a beautiful book with interesting photographs in the tradition of National Geographic or the Day in the Life series and there are some fun things about it (such as being able to order a custom cover using one of your own photographs) but the thing I found most interesting were the scattered statistics outlining the "typical" American.
It made me wonder how well you or I fit that profile so if you're game, here is some of the data America at Home cites, take the polls and see how you fall in the demographics. If you're not an American, who cares? Play along anyway and see what happens--answers are absolutely anonymous, have no fear.
1. Eighty percent of married men say that if they could go back to their wedding day they would marry the same woman over again. Only 50 percent of married women would do the same.
2. Not counting weddings and funerals, 38 percent of Americans attend religious services at least once a week.
3. There are approximately 6,000 marriages every day, with more than half of these couples living together before the Big Day.
4. American women with children under the age of 6 spend an average of one and one half hours a day watching television. Men without children spend an astounding 4 1/2 hours per day.
5. Today, the average new single-family home is 2,349 square feet. In 1950 it was just 983 square feet.
6. Americans spent some $41 billion more than they earned last year, with an average of nearly 13 credit cards per household.
7. The majority of Americans live their lives within fifty miles of the place they grew up.
8. The median sales price of new houses sold in September 2007 was $238,00 compared to $23,400 in 1970.
9. Every morning American children head off to 124,100 schools. Eighty-six percent attend public schools.
10. More than 93 percent of homeowners consider their neighborhood safe, and 78 percent are not afraid to walk alone at night.
Congratulations to Michelle and Christine who were the winners of the Zoobies and Kids Fun Cards Giveaway this weekend--they're going to be verrrry popular with such great prizes to take home but first they need to claim their prizes. Please respond by tonight to get your gifts! Check those spam boxes!
Sponsored by Rick Rack Attack--Vintage aprons that aren't just vintage reproductions they're vintage pieces.
If you liked this post you can subscribe to receive updates through RSS feeds or email.
Technorati tags: America, home